Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Re-cast the movies! (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=131512)

Peakes June 29th, 2012 8:59 pm

Re-cast the movies!

Right then, guys and gals. We've had eight movies to dissect and discuss. Some love them, some hate them, many fall somewhere in between (I count myself in that group, although erring on the side of "love them").

Now, whilst the idea has been put out there before, this thread is not intended to be used for discussing the merits or otherwise of a remake of the Harry Potter film series.

What I thought would be interesting to discover is who you think would be a good casting choice for your favourite HP characters if a new series was being made now and the original actor was unavailable. Therefore, primarily, this should be kept to actors who didn't appear in the series, although it would be interesting to see if you pick out someone who was, but who you feel might have done well in a different role.

So, let's have your ideas. I'm going to kick this off with:

David Wenham (known to many as Faramir in LOTR) as my nomination for the role of Remus Lupin.

mirrormere June 29th, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Re-cast the movies!

I think Christopher Plummer would have made an excellent Dumbledore.

Divvie June 30th, 2012 12:18 am

Actually, I don't feel a particular need to recast anyone.

If, however, someone else was supposed to give Severus Snape a try, my favourite would have been Robbie Carlyle.

He might be a bit short and he would have to sound less Scottish, but other than that I am certain he could have captured Snape pretty well ...

LittleLottie June 30th, 2012 3:11 am

I think I must be the only person alive who has not liked Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. I always imagined Bellatrix as much taller and very aloof, now maybe I did not pay enough attention to her description in the books, my imagination does run away with me, but Liv Tyler, I think, would have been great.

merrymarge June 30th, 2012 3:23 am

I think Johnny Depp would work. not sure if I want him as Severus Snape or Voldemort.
But, I know it is hard to imagine anyone else playing Snape. "Turn to page 394" "Obviously". And his facial expressions, sigh. if Johnny Depp wants to act in the movies, I think he would make a good Voldemort.

horcrux4 June 30th, 2012 8:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLottie (Post 6020980)
I think I must be the only person alive who has not liked Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. I always imagined Bellatrix as much taller and very aloof, now maybe I did not pay enough attention to her description in the books, my imagination does run away with me, but Liv Tyler, I think, would have been great.

I agree that Helena Bonham Carter doesn't look as Bellatrix is described but as Jo wouldn't allow non-British actors I'd have gone for Anna Chancellor.

Peakes June 30th, 2012 1:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrormere (Post 6020900)

Woah, that's way out of left field, but having checked out more recent pics of him, I can see where you're coming from... he's got that twinkle in the eye that Harris had. Strange that the last time I saw him in action was as the Klingon General Chang in Star Trek 6!

Dumbledore, along with Snape, is one of the toughest to imagine a replacement for, I don't think anyone could top Richard Harris, with the possible exception of Ian McKellen (who, IMO, should have been Harris' replacement).

I'll throw another one in the mix though, and that's Bernard Hill (King Theoden) who I think could do well in the part now he's got a few more years on him.

wolfbrother June 30th, 2012 3:59 pm

I think Johnny Depp would've been a good Sirius and how about Christopher Lee for Voldemort ?

mrfutterman June 30th, 2012 5:59 pm

The author insisted on an all British cast.

Peakes June 30th, 2012 6:10 pm

You're right, she did - and I do tend to agree that she was right.

However, if a remake of the series were ever to go ahead, I think that finding an all-British cast that hasn't been used already would be extremely difficult.

As this is a theoretical exercise, I am not applying any such restriction in this thread. I think the most interesting aspect of this discussion is what parts might be thought appropriate for overseas actors.

Wab June 30th, 2012 6:22 pm

Sean Connery as Dumbledore

Shaun_MT June 30th, 2012 6:30 pm

Some ideas...

Charles Dance as Barty Crouch Sr

Charlie Hunnam as Barty Crouch Jr

Bob Hoskins as Horace Slughorn

Christopher Ecclestone as Remus Lupin

Tom Hollander as Peter Pettigrew

Brian Cox as Rufus Scrimgeour

Mark Strong as Yaxley

LoveAlways June 30th, 2012 9:26 pm

I know he`s ot British, but I would DEFINITELY cast Robert Carlyle as Snape.

He`s an amazing actor who is fantastic at darker roles, just like Alan Rickman,
(if you havent seen him on Once Upon A Time as Rumpelstiltskin, please do!)
And he looks exactly how I pictured Snape in the books!

Also, I totally agree that Johnny Depp as Sirius would be amazing,
as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, and ill bet Asa Butterfield
would be a great Harry, although its hard to imagine anyone but Dan playing him..

Peakes June 30th, 2012 9:47 pm

There aren't all that many American actors I'd pick, but one guy I do like is Robert Downey Jr. I think he'd make an excellent Sirius Black.

I'm also going to throw Hugh Grant's name in the mix as Gilderoy Lockhart. I can see him in the Sir Ken Branagh role.

TreacleTartlet June 30th, 2012 9:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveAlways (Post 6021154)

He`s an amazing actor who is fantastic at darker roles, just like Alan Rickman,
(if you havent seen him on Once Upon A Time as Rumpelstiltskin, please do!)
And he looks exactly how I pictured Snape in the books!

Robert Carlyle is Scottish and is therefore British. I agree he is a very good actor, and I think he could do a very good Snape.

kittling June 30th, 2012 10:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveAlways (Post 6021154)

I'm glad to say that Robert Carlyle is British :cool:

He could make a good Snape but he would have the same age issues Alan Rickman has. My personal favouite for the role of Severus Snape is Richard Armitage - anyone who's seen him in the BBC's North & South would see him pull off a very good buttoned up Northern
- I think he would balance the different aspects of the character well. :)

TreacleTartlet June 30th, 2012 10:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittling (Post 6021171)
I'm glad to say that Robert Carlyle is British :cool:

He could make a good Snape but he would have the same age issues Alan Rickman has. My personal favouite for the role of Severus Snape is Richard Armitage - anyone who's seen him in the BBC's North & South would see him pull off a very good buttoned up Northern

Yes, yes yes!:clap::clap: I have also thought that Richard Armitage would be very good in the role of Snape. :D He can do a very good greasy snarl as well.:)

Hanover_Fist July 1st, 2012 12:08 am

Does the all-British requirement apply to magical objects too? Because I was going to suggest Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of the Sorting Hat.

horcrux4 July 1st, 2012 1:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet (Post 6021178)
Yes, yes yes!:clap::clap: I have also thought that Richard Armitage would be very good in the role of Snape. :D He can do a very good greasy snarl as well.:)

When Richard Armitage was first suggested I remembered him from Spooks and North and South and thought 'no'. Then I remembered his Guy of Gisbourne and thought 'oh, yes!' Snape incarnate!

I'm trying to think of an alternative to Helen McCrory for Narcissa (she really didn't look the part to me) but I can't come up with a pale wispy actress who matches the description. Maybe Tilda Swinton?

LoveAlways July 1st, 2012 1:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet (Post 6021165)
Robert Carlyle is Scottish and is therefore British. I agree he is a very good actor, and I think he could do a very good Snape.

Oopsie...totally forgot about Scotland being a part of Britain. My bad! (blushes)

And I think I actually like Robert Downey Jr. as Sirius, too. Good one!

Im not familiar with Richard Armitage, unfortunately, but the pic def. looks convincing.
Ill have to look up his work sometime...

StaceysChain July 1st, 2012 2:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittling (Post 6021171)

This is gonna sound really weird, but I think Richard would've made a great James Potter (even if it's only a minor role) because I think he looks so much like an older Daniel Radcliffe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux4 (Post 6021305)
I'm trying to think of an alternative to Helen McCrory for Narcissa (she really didn't look the part to me) but I can't come up with a pale wispy actress who matches the description. Maybe Tilda Swinton?

What about Hermione Norris? She was also in Spooks. ;)

MinervasCat July 1st, 2012 3:46 am

Armitage with a Snape-cut and brown contacts. Mmmmmmm. Yeah.

RikuStark July 1st, 2012 4:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6020860)
So, let's have your ideas. I'm going to kick this off with:

David Wenham (known to many as Faramir in LOTR) as my nomination for the role of Remus Lupin.

If we're going the LOTR route, how about Viggo Mortensen as Sirius? :rolleyes: He's obviously to old for the role, but so was Gary Oldman (I looked it up and they're pretty much the same age). Viggo would have been perfect if he was younger...

Love the idea of Armitage as Snape, but how about Michael Fassbender as Snape? I can see it.

ShadowSonic July 1st, 2012 4:40 am

Lena Headey as Narcissa Malfoy, I mean heck just see her as Queen Cersei and she's already got the look down pat.

Jonny Boy July 1st, 2012 5:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun_MT (Post 6021109)
Some ideas...

Mark Strong as Yaxley

Mark Strong definitely should have been in the series. Maybe not as Yaxley but he definitely would have made a great death eater.

StarryVeil July 1st, 2012 6:42 am

First, I'd bring James and Lily Potter down to their actual age. I'm going to go with Landon Liboiron for James and Rachel Hurd-Wood for Lily. I think, with some tweaking in make-up, they can easily play both teenage and adult Lily and James.

Also, I like to imagine child Lily as the little girl from The Time Traveler's Wife. Brooklyn Proulx is the actress's name.

For Sirius, I think Ian Somerhalder looks very much the role. He could easily play both pre-Azkaban and post-Azkaban Sirius. Not sure about the acting, though.

I don't like recasting Dan because he's sort of become Harry Potter but, if I could, I'd inject something to make him grow taller. :whistle:

Apheka July 1st, 2012 7:04 am

John Rhys-Davies as Hagrid.

Christopher Ecclestone as Voldemorte.

I cannot think of any other person to take the place of Dame Maggie Smith.

Peakes July 1st, 2012 9:59 am

The first actress that springs to mind that has the gravitas to play McGonagall is another Dame, Judi Dench.

John Rhys-Davis as Hagrid, I like that one. Bit of a change in stature after playing Gimli :rotfl:

yorkiedoodle July 1st, 2012 12:08 pm

I'll be on my own on this one - Martin Shaw to play Dumbledore - he has very twinkly eyes......

Kings_Cross July 1st, 2012 1:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrormere (Post 6020900)

Wow, absolutely!

I'm happy with most of the casting in reality but just for fun...

Tom Hiddleston as Remus Lupin (If the Marauders ages were to be similar to those in the books ie a bit younger than the films made it out to be)

Michael Fassbender as Voldemort

And I can't think of anybody in particular, but somebody, anybody else to play young Tom Riddle in HBP.

Peakes July 1st, 2012 1:43 pm

I got a curve-ball for ya. Albus Dumbledore ........ Morgan Freeman.

It was the suggestion about Christopher Plummer that got me wondering, I checked out some more recent pics of him and in one he looked just like a white Morgan Freeman.

Christopher Plummer

Morgan Freeman

Whaddya think to that?

WelkinCooper July 1st, 2012 1:58 pm

Adrien Brody as Severus Snape

Peakes July 1st, 2012 3:12 pm

Stop the press. I just found Hagrid.

LoveAlways July 1st, 2012 4:34 pm

O.K Guys. Here are some more suggestions for you:

Meryl Streep or Glenn Close as Umbridge
Tilda Swinton as Madame Maxime
Liam Neeson, Clive Owen, or Pierce Brosnan as Lupin
Angelina Jolie as Bellatrix Lestrange
Judi Dench as McGonagall
Keith Richards as Mad Eye Moody
Christoph Waltz as Voldemort

Steph_Potter July 1st, 2012 7:39 pm

I always thought Ian McKellen would have been a better choice for Dumbledore... also heard that Gabriel Thomson was considered for Harry and think he probably would have been more suited (much as I love DR ;) )

yorkiedoodle July 1st, 2012 11:01 pm

i give you Martin Shaw:-

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...-857103489.jpg

Give him Dumbledore's robe and beard and I think we'd be well on our way!

TreacleTartlet July 1st, 2012 11:29 pm

I could see Brain Cox as Mad Eye Moody. I don't mean the physicist,:lol: but Brain Cox the actor.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...w_1438205c.jpg

Peakes July 1st, 2012 11:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle (Post 6021494)
i give you Martin Shaw:-

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...-857103489.jpg

Give him Dumbledore's robe and beard and I think we'd be well on our way!

You might be on to something there. Which is kinda scary, given that I remember watching him in The Professionals (showing my age a bit there!):

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...2_1975131b.jpg

Apheka July 2nd, 2012 3:04 am

I'm with Martin Shaw for Dumbledore, he'd be great.
It's easier with naming the adults but hard looking for another "Harry".

ID824 July 2nd, 2012 7:15 am

I think Alyson Hannigan for Ginny, almost anyone for Ron (sorry Grint lovers, but I'm just not a fan), Alex Pettyfer for Cedric, and Landon Liboiron for Harry

snapes_witch July 2nd, 2012 7:28 am

Benedic Cumberbatch = James Potter

StaceysChain July 2nd, 2012 10:56 am

Karen Gillian would be a fantastic Ginny in my personal opinion!

I also think Benedict Cumberbatch would've been a great Sirius Black, Lucius Malfoy and Voldemort.

Kate McGrath could also be a cool Bellatrix.

Schlubalybub July 2nd, 2012 1:50 pm

Stephen Fry should have been Dumbledore.

yorkiedoodle July 2nd, 2012 5:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6021569)

Yes! What a good idea!

And Martin Freeman for Lupin?

horcrux4 July 2nd, 2012 5:42 pm

How about Toby Stephens as Sirius? (Or as anything really - he should just be in it!)

I still think Anna Chancellor would be a perfect Bellatrix. Did you see her in Pride and Prejudice playing Caroline Bingley? http://austenonly.files.wordpress.co...77_640_360.jpg

Wab July 2nd, 2012 5:44 pm

Johnny Lee Miller as Lucius Malfoy
Robert Carlyle as Voldie or Snape
Ewan McGregor as Lockhart
Ewan Bremner as Pettigrew

Peakes July 2nd, 2012 5:48 pm

Hmmm... Trainspotting 2: Hogsmeade?

:rotfl:

horcrux4 July 2nd, 2012 5:55 pm

Eileen Atkins for McGonagall? http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_2189959b.jpg

And how about Tony Robinson for Wormtail?

I really can't choose between Brian Blessed and John Rhys-Davies for Hagrid - both would be excellent.

Wab July 2nd, 2012 6:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6021658)
Hmmm... Trainspotting 2: Hogsmeade?

:rotfl:

Kelly McDonald and Shirley Henderson had a run, thought I'd give the guys a go.

Peakes July 2nd, 2012 6:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux4 (Post 6021659)

That's one scary looking woman... a bit too scary!

Quote:

And how about Tony Robinson for Wormtail?

Good call!

Goddess_Clio July 2nd, 2012 6:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelkinCooper (Post 6021384)
Adrien Brody as Severus Snape

Absolutely!! I harkened on to this idea a couple months ago and fell in love with the idea of Adrien as Snape... I love Alan in the role, he's one of a kind and unparalleled in many ways - my only critique of him in the role of Snape ever was that he was too old for the role. Adrien would be a fantastic pick for adultSnape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6021402)
Stop the press. I just found Hagrid.

HA!! You don't even have to put him through 5 hours of makeup everyday, he comes already made up! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph_Potter (Post 6021441)
I always thought Ian McKellen would have been a better choice for Dumbledore...

I, too, would have loved to see Ian McKellen play Dumbledore but I don't think he would have taken the role in a million years after playing Gandalf. He looks like the epitome of Dumbledore to me, a spry old man, lots of wrinkles and white hair with major intensity and an infectious smile. He would have been perfect.

Quote:

also heard that Gabriel Thomson was considered for Harry and think he probably would have been more suited (much as I love DR ;) )
Never heard of him before but having just looked him up he looks a lot more like the Harry I see in my head than Dan does - but even Gabriel still is missing something for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6021569)

:rotfl: OMG! This is hillarious! I don't see him as James, personally (Benedict's face is a little to long and narrow and he doesn't have the boy-next-door quality I imagine James having; Benedict is a little too amazing-looking :D) I would love to see him in the HP movies, though. :agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlubalybub (Post 6021613)
Stephen Fry should have been Dumbledore.

tee-hee!! I see him as more of a Slughorn - which is weird because I never imagined I would cast Stephen Fry as Slughorn in my life! :D

My "In A Perfect World" casting choices based on looks alone (mostly roles I disagree with the film casting on):

Dumbledore: Ian McKellen:    

Adult Snape: Adrien Brody:    

Young Snape: Louis Garrel (widely accepted fandom casting):    

Young Sirius: Ben Barnes (again, widely accepted fandom casting):    

James: Combine the attainable attractiveness of a Jack Davenport, the ingenuous, disarming smile of a Ewan McGregor and the steaming masculinity of a James Purefoy and you get... the perfect man... :lol: (James doesn't adequately exist in the real world to me):    

Lily: A combination of Karen Gillian (another widely accepted fandom casting but her eyes don't have the amazing quality of Lily's eyes to me) and Kelli Garner (whose eyes are more Lily but who doesn't quite have the sweet innocence of Lily:    

Merope: Helena Bonhma Carter; c'mon, people, have you seen her play Ophelia?? Craaaaaazy!! She was who I immediately cast in my head when Merope's character was introduced and who I still imgaine Merope to be:    

Bellatrix: Idina Menzel, only not so bombshelly. Frizz up her hair big time and give her runny mascara and colorless, cracked, dry lips and she could be awesome - a hint of beauty under all that crazy:    

Cedric Diggory: A Zac Efron-type boy next door (not necessarily Efron himself), not a guy who looks like he way hit too many times in the face with a cafeteria tray :p:    

Mad Eye Moody: Get Steve Buscemi to gain 40-50 pounds and he'd be hillarious as Moody, he's already got the crazy eyes...:    

eatus_Benevol1 July 2nd, 2012 7:13 pm

I always thought Judi Dench would make a perfect Delores Umbridge (and she'd have a blast playing that character, too). I would also consider Jane Horrocks as Rita Skeeter, Frances Tomelty as Molly Weasley, and Jent McTeer as Narcissa Malfoy. Brenda Fricker would be a good Pomona Sprout. Clive Owen for Sirius, Tom Wilkinson for Mad Eye Moody, Charles Dance for Dumbledore. And this is a stretch, but she could do it with her talent - Vanessa Redgrave for McGonagall. It is hard to think of any young un's to case as the kids...

RikuStark July 2nd, 2012 8:35 pm

Quote:

How about Eileen as Sirius' mother? :lol:

snapes_witch July 2nd, 2012 11:09 pm

I think with our fantasy re-casting we should keep to JKR's request for British only actors -- sorry JohnnyD and Adrien!

Goddess_Clio July 2nd, 2012 11:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6021687)

o0o0o0o that would be good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6021747)
I think with our fantasy re-casting we should keep to JKR's request for British only actors -- sorry JohnnyD and Adrien!

Why? It's fantasy casting, not real life casting. Fantasies, at least my fantasies, are not restricted to nationality. I see no reason to arbitrarily impose JKR's request for British-only actors on my totally unreal, it-would-never-happen-in-a-million-years, pipe dream fantasy re-cast of the movies.

WelkinCooper July 3rd, 2012 1:02 am

Adrien Brody, though not British, looks so much like I envision Snape that it's hard not to put him up. And as Goddess Clio points out, this is fantasy casting, not real casting.

snapes_witch July 3rd, 2012 4:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6021752)
Why? It's fantasy casting, not real life casting. Fantasies, at least my fantasies, are not restricted to nationality. I see no reason to arbitrarily impose JKR's request for British-only actors on my totally unreal, it-would-never-happen-in-a-million-years, pipe dream fantasy re-cast of the movies.

OK! ;) In that case my fantasy location for Hogwarts is the Smoky Mountains.:whistle:

yorkiedoodle July 3rd, 2012 8:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6021747)

I am inclined to agree - as a Brit I find it very hard to think of any non-Brit's in a main role in HP.(with the exception of Kingsley... of course..)

Given the book descriptions of Mr Weasley have him as a small rotund wizard I was wandering about Toby Jones.....

And I fervently agree with whoever said Christopher Ecclestone as Voldemort and Mark Strong as a senior deatheater...

WelkinCooper July 3rd, 2012 12:26 pm

For the sake of harmony I rescind my earlier championing of that dastardly American Adrien Brody from this thread, but retain him for my personal fantasy casting session.

MerryLore July 3rd, 2012 1:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6021863)
OK! ;) In that case my fantasy location for Hogwarts is the Smoky Mountains.:whistle:

Definitely! At the very least, we need a school there.

Adrien Brody works for me, Brit ir not. I really like Richard Armitage as well.

And can we now have Ian McKellen for Dumbledore? Please....

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6021687)

Definitely!!

Peakes July 3rd, 2012 1:48 pm

If I were remaking the films for real, I would turn up at Ian McKellen's door with a VLCB (Very Large Cheque Book) and refuse to take "no" for an answer.

Adrien Brody certainly looks the part for Severus. Even if he is a Merkin.

However, for further consideration in the role, I submit: Mads Mikkelsen

He wouldn't make a bad Lupin either ...

Someone earlier in the thread suggested Tom Hiddleston for Lupin; however, does any agree that he'd be a damn fine You-know-who?

Pearl_Took July 3rd, 2012 3:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6021936)
Someone earlier in the thread suggested Tom Hiddleston for Lupin; however, does any agree that he'd be a damn fine You-know-who?

Yes, he'd be good. :) Tom can do dark. (Canon Voldy has about as much personality as spaghetti, so you need a charismatic actor like Fiennes - or Hiddleston - to bring him to life.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6021752)

Yeah, but it's a British setting. So in this fantasy scenario your any-nationality fantasy cast would be able to do a decent British accent ... right? ;)

Quote:

:lol:

I've always liked the notion of Adrien Brody for Severus. :) He has the NOSE. :D And the thin, pallid look. I imagine he could do a good English accent. Preferably a Northern one. :)

Goddess_Clio July 3rd, 2012 5:04 pm

Quote:

It's your fantasy remake, you can set the castle anywhere you want. That's my point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle (Post 6021928)
I am inclined to agree - as a Brit I find it very hard to think of any non-Brit's in a main role in HP.(with the exception of Kingsley... of course..)

The whole point of recasting the movies to me, though, is finding the ideal actor to play the role regardless of nation of origin, whether they're Irish, Canadian, American, South African, Australian... I don't think that's anything to fuss about, personally. This is never going to happen in real life so why get so riled up about an American playing a leading role in the HP series? I didn't hear anyone complaining when Sam Worthington, an Aussie, was playing the lead role of an American soldier in Avatar. Or when Guy Pearce, also an Aussie, was playing King Edward VIII in The King's Speech. Or when Johnny Depp, an American, was playing an English pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean. And these were actors who were actually cast in actual movies. We're talking about casting actors in a completely make believe remake of the HP series. Why arbitrarily limit yourself to such a small pool of actors?

Also, from the words of the person who started the thread (Peakes):
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfutterman (Post 6021103)
The author insisted on an all British cast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6021104)
You're right, she did - and I do tend to agree that she was right.

However, if a remake of the series were ever to go ahead, I think that finding an all-British cast that hasn't been used already would be extremely difficult.

As this is a theoretical exercise, I am not applying any such restriction in this thread. I think the most interesting aspect of this discussion is what parts might be thought appropriate for overseas actors.

(my underlining)
This thread was never intended to be a British-only recast. If that's a restriction you want to impose on yourself than go ahead, whatever floats your boat, but please don't impose that restriction on everyone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6021936)
However, for further consideration in the role, I submit: Mads Mikkelsen

He wouldn't make a bad Lupin either ...

What an interesting guy! I see him more in a Snape role and less in a Lupin role, he's got a great mysterious quality to his looks that I think would be great for Snape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl_Took (Post 6021948)
Yeah, but it's a British setting. So in this fantasy scenario your any-nationality fantasy cast would be able to do a decent British accent ... right? ;)

My fantasy cast is primarily based on looks (which actor I think has the right "look" to be that character) and not so much on acting ability (as I have made an argument for Steve Buscemi as Mad Eye Moody) but yes, in my fantasty recast the actors would play the role with the perfect accents, the perfect read on all the lines, the perfect physicality, the perfect make up, the perfect wardrobe, etc.

ShadowSonic July 3rd, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, they already sort of broke the "Only British" cast rule when they cast Evanna Lynch as Luna since she's Irish.

Have we ever seen any Scottish actors in the HP movies? May JK just meant "No one from outside the UK, but can still use Irish and Scottish actors."

Peakes July 3rd, 2012 5:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6021963)
Well, they already sort of broke the "Only British" cast rule when they cast Evanna Lynch as Luna since she's Irish.

Have we ever seen any Scottish actors in the HP movies? May JK just meant "No one from outside the UK, but can still use Irish and Scottish actors."

Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) and Bill Nighy (Scrimgeour) spring to mind, there are probably some more...

Wab July 3rd, 2012 6:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6021963)

Scotland is part of the UK as is Northern Ireland. "British" also extends to the Republic of Ireland as it is part of the British Isles.

And before Evanna there was Richard Harris who was Irish.
i

Pearl_Took July 3rd, 2012 7:10 pm

The girl who played Cho Chang (I can't remember her name!) was Scottish. :cool:

Divvie July 3rd, 2012 7:55 pm

Not to forget David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr.) who's Scottish, too :relax:

horcrux4 July 3rd, 2012 8:08 pm

Gwyneth Paltrow for Narcissa?
David Suchet for Slughorn?
Damien Lewis as Lupin?

snapes_witch July 3rd, 2012 8:28 pm

And Alan Rickman is Welsh-Irish so we have Wales covered also.

Apheka July 4th, 2012 6:29 am

Stephen Fry as Slughorn but as he was written in the book not as played in the movie.

Tony Robinson as Argus Filch.

Jean Marsh as Bellatrix. She made a fantastic evil witch in the film "Willow".

And doesn't everyone want Peeves written into the movies, so who would you have?

snapes_witch July 4th, 2012 6:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apheka (Post 6022192)

And doesn't everyone want Peeves written into the movies, so who would you have?

How about the actor who was cast, but we never got to see? Rick something or other, sorry having a Senior Moment.

Richard_G. July 4th, 2012 8:02 am

If anybody watched the old school Doctor Who, they would understand where I'm coming from when I say Tom Baker as Dumbledore.

TreacleTartlet July 4th, 2012 9:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6022227)
If anybody watched the old school Doctor Who, they would understand where I'm coming from when I say Tom Baker as Dumbledore.

I was going to suggest Tom Baker as Dumbledore. :lol: So it isn't just me who could see that working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6022197)
How about the actor who was cast, but we never got to see? Rick something or other, sorry having a Senior Moment.

Rik Mayall. :)

mrfutterman July 4th, 2012 10:01 am

Quote:

This thread was never intended to be a British-only recast. If that's a restriction you want to impose on yourself than go ahead, whatever floats your boat, but please don't impose that restriction on everyone else.
I'm not imposing any restrictions on anybody! I merely note that many posters on here are "purists" who spend a lot of time paying homage to the author's "vision" and complaining that the film-makers don't pay enough attention to the author's "vision".

My view - anybody who can visualise some of the mainstream Hollywood names mentioned on here in an adaptation of HP must have a very strange take on the author's vision.

Carry on!

Divvie July 4th, 2012 10:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfutterman (Post 6022233)

My view - anybody who can visualise some of the mainstream Hollywood names mentioned on here in an adaptation of HP must have a very strange take on the author's vision.

Carry on!

Hehe, I bave to admit that envisioning anyone in Harry Potter without a British accent (apart from the continental European chars, ofc) would sound plain wrong to me :)

Pearl_Took July 4th, 2012 11:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6022227)

Great suggestion. :tu:

Dumbledore has a dark side, as revealed in DH. Baker would convey that extremely well, as well as Dumbledore's outer eccentricities.

StarryVeil July 4th, 2012 1:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfutterman (Post 6022233)

Assuming that JKR wanted an all-Brit cast only because she wanted the accent right (not sure if this is true), I'd say we can ask actors to fake accents. I mean Elijah Wood, Liv Tyler, Brad Dourif etc managed quite well in LOTR, didn't they?

Peakes July 4th, 2012 1:53 pm

Another Dumbledore for discussion... Maurice Micklewhite. I hadn't considered him before, but it turns out he does good beard:

Of course, you know him better as Michael Caine!

ShadowSonic July 4th, 2012 3:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryVeil (Post 6022247)
Assuming that JKR wanted an all-Brit cast only because she wanted the accent right (not sure if this is true), I'd say we can ask actors to fake accents. I mean Elijah Wood, Liv Tyler, Brad Dourif etc managed quite well in LOTR, didn't they?

If that's true about accents, they still got it partially wrong seeing how the each member of the Weasley family seems to speak with a different type of British accent.

horcrux4 July 4th, 2012 7:05 pm

Quote:

Remembering Brad Dourif as Grima in LOTR I reckon he could do a good Filch.

Goddess_Clio July 5th, 2012 12:05 am

Quote:

Assuming that JKR wanted an all-Brit cast only because she wanted the accent right (not sure if this is true)

I always assumed she wanted to restrict it to an all British cast with British locations and a British crew so all the money that went to making the movies would stay in Britain and support the British economy. I can very much imagine an outraged country if an all British cast was flown to Hollywood for filming. :no: The movies were bolstered by being able to visit real locations with real British architecture and not something that was created on a sound stage.

Anyway, back to the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux4 (Post 6022278)
Remembering Brad Dourif as Grima in LOTR I reckon he could do a good Filch.

LOVE that suggestion!!

As for a request for a casting of Peeves, this is absolutely a place where I could imagine an irritating as hell actor like Gilbert Godfrey as being perfect but I don't know if I could stand Gibert Godfrey in the HP movies - I can hardly stand him during those 30 second long Aflac commercials. :p Granted Peeves would only be in the movies for about two minutes...

I just watched Kings Speech again last night - what about Geoffrey Rush as Mad Eye Moody?? :D I think he'd have a lot of fun in that role!

(P.S. Happy 4th of July!!!)

Wab July 5th, 2012 4:49 am

That's rarely a consideration.

RikuStark July 5th, 2012 8:09 am

I have Game of Thrones on my mind, and I thought Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would be a good Lockhart...Hmm or Lucius Malfoy.

And then Jack Glesson as Draco? He's to old to play him from the beginning, but he'd be a good Draco regardless.

ShadowSonic July 5th, 2012 3:02 pm

Hmmm....Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Lucius Malfoy, Lena Headey as Narcissa Malfoy and Jack Gleeson as Draco...

Wow, GoT gave us the perfect Malfoy family casting!

Goddess_Clio July 5th, 2012 5:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6022546)
Hmmm....Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Lucius Malfoy, Lena Headey as Narcissa Malfoy and Jack Gleeson as Draco...

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is too beautiful for Lucius, personally. I never pictured Lucius as a hunky man-god. I imagined him to be a thin, chinless Ministry brown-noser who has to rely on his powers of persuasion and ingratiate himself with the right people through bribery and negotiations because he didn't have devilish good looks to fall back on. :shrug:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is hunky, though. :)

RikuStark July 5th, 2012 6:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6022546)

Lena would be a great Narcissa! When I first read your post I was going to disagree with you, but thinking back on her performance on GoT....It fits!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6022568)
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is too beautiful for Lucius, personally. I never pictured Lucius as a hunky man-god. I imagined him to be a thin, chinless Ministry brown-noser who has to rely on his powers of persuasion and ingratiate himself with the right people through bribery and negotiations because he didn't have devilish good looks to fall back on. :shrug:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is hunky, though. :)

:lol: I wasn't think practically when I said Nikolaj for Lucius ( I was pretty much thinking, what other blond guys are in HP), but I can still see it. I guess it's more on how he speaks that sold me to the idea. Nikolaj can voice Lucius in an animated movie! :yuhup:

Apheka July 6th, 2012 9:13 am

Paul McGann as Lucius Malfoy. I can see him going from arrogant to snivelling.

Wab July 6th, 2012 9:35 am

David Threlfall as Snape

MmeBergerac July 6th, 2012 10:54 am

Mattew MacFayden as Remus Lupin and Harry Lloyd as Tom Riddle.

And a risky one: I love Gary Oldman's work in HP, but I think David Tennant would be an excellent Sirius.

Pearl_Took July 6th, 2012 11:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 6022809)
And a risky one: I love Gary Oldman's work in HP, but I think David Tennant would be an excellent Sirius.

You know what, I can totally see that. :tu:

But not with his native Scottish accent. I adore it, but Sirius is not written as Scottish. :)

Shaun_MT July 6th, 2012 12:39 pm

Quote:

Mattew MacFayden as Remus Lupin.

That is a really, really good choice actually. One of those: I wish I had thought of that ideas.

Peakes July 6th, 2012 1:23 pm

Hugo Weaving as Lucius.

Kings_Cross July 6th, 2012 1:39 pm

Quote:

Mattew MacFayden as Remus Lupin and Harry Lloyd as Tom Riddle.

I agree with your first two picks, especially Matthew MacFayden, could totally see it!

However Tennant? A risky pick indeed...he doesn't seem to have enough of that cool guy/bad boy thing to pull off Sirius Black.

Goddess_Clio July 6th, 2012 4:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6022826)
Hugo Weaving as Lucius.

I get Hugo Weaving and Jason Isaacs mixed up all the time; they look really similar to me. They're like the older version of Shia LeBouf and James McAvoy - they're like the exact same person :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings_Cross (Post 6022829)
I agree with your first two picks, especially Matthew MacFayden, could totally see it!

I have a hard time seeing Matthew MacFayden as Lupin, personally. I'm forever tainted by his tepid Darcy and have a hard time separating him from Tom Quinn in Spooks/MI-5. (I haven't watched that show since its about 8th season and I just looked Matthew up on IMDB and saw he's in an episode in season 10!!! EEP!! I want Zoe to come back, though. I miss her.)

Quote:

Tennant? A risky pick indeed...he doesn't seem to have enough of that cool guy/bad boy thing to pull off Sirius Black.
I agree, he's more of an adult Lupin for me, personally. The way Sirius is described in the books I always got the impression he was built more like a jock and was more "typically" good-looking and for me David Tennant is good-looking in a much quirkier way.

Okay, what about Rowan Atkinson as Peeves? Or Filch? Or ( :scared: ) Snape?? :lol:

MerryLore July 6th, 2012 5:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6022856)

Okay, what about Rowan Atkinson as Peeves? Or Filch? Or ( :scared: ) Snape?? :lol:

Or James :lol:

He doesn't seem "scary" enough to me to be Peeves or Filch. I can't see him as Snape.

Peakes July 6th, 2012 9:40 pm

Tom Cruise as Kreacher... Jac Kreacher.

WelkinCooper July 7th, 2012 1:11 am

Jude Law as Narcissa Malfoy. (Make that Tilda Swinton)

horcrux4 July 7th, 2012 10:31 am

Tilda Swinton has my vote for Narcissa.

Lotoc_Sabbath July 7th, 2012 11:32 am

Well I've seen some ideas and I find them amazing:

Robert Downey Junior as Sirius Black would be stunning but he should get the screen time he deserves, if not there would be no sense in casting him, he always steals the show and giving him the sreentime sirius had in the films would be stupid.
Obviously I go for Ian McKellen as Dumbldore, the guy is perfect!
Michael Fassbender as Voldmort actually made my mind explode! That choice would be some of the best casting ever made in history.
David Wenham as Remus Lupin really was a great idea!
A for the old cast I'd say that warwick Davis and Alan Rickman should absolutely remain they were unforgettable and I must say that the Weasleys were perfect in every sense, unfortunately the kids have grouwn up but there choice was stunning.

Now as for my ideas I have some:

Firstly the most hilarious is Tom Cruise as Ludo Bangman, I'd really have a laugh with that!

Colin Firth as Hagrid

Samuel Jackson as Kingsley

Hugo Weaving as Snape

Ewan McGregor as Lockhart

Not regarind casting: I'd have Christopher Nolan as director ;)