Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Re-cast the movies! (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=131512)

EXPELIAMUS July 7th, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Re-cast the movies!

Leonardo DiCaprio as Harry. Kate Winslet as Ginny. Keanu Reeves as Ron. Sandra Bullock as Hermione.

Peakes July 7th, 2012 3:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS (Post 6023111)
Keanu Reeves as Ron.

Well, you'd have to give him a ginger wig, and replace every line where he says "bloody hell" with "woah" - not convinced that would work, somehow :hmm:

Hes July 7th, 2012 4:44 pm

I am thinking that this thread is turning a bit too unrealistic and spoof like. I am however willing to give it a last chance. If there are anymore completely silly castings it´s over and out for this thread in Muggle Studies.

Peakes July 7th, 2012 7:38 pm

Much appreciated Hes.

Well, 100+ posts and we've had a lot of suggestions, the majority of them at least have been serious and had some thought given to them; of course, it gets a bit boring just looking at lists of names, so maybe now is the time for some discussion of those suggestions?

For my part, there have been some actors and actresses listed that I had never even heard of, and some of them have been quite inspired IMO - I wasn't familiar with Adrien Brody for example, but could see him as Professor Snape; then again I find it hard to imagine anyone doing a better job than Alan Rickman :)

So... you've seen plenty of ideas listed, what are your thoughts? There's been little mention of the trio - this would, IMO, be the hardest part to re-cast, as I think they really did strike gold with Dan, Emma and Rupert in terms of getting a trio who grew into their parts and stuck together for ten years of film-making; having to change actors part way through would have been a tough obstacle to overcome.

Would you re-cast the trio as 10/11 year olds with a view to remaking the films over the seven years of student life at Hogwarts? Or would you start with them a little older, and perhaps condense the film-making process (not the story) into a shorter period, maybe filming some of the instalments back-to-back?

One of the strengths of the films is the casting, IMO. However, are there any characters whose casting you feel cannot be improved upon from the originals? Conversely, are there any parts you think were mis-cast?

To quote my old English teacher... "Discuss."

TreacleTartlet July 7th, 2012 9:02 pm

I have just been watching Doctor Who and it struck me that Alex Kingston (River Song) could make a good Bellatrix.

Peakes July 7th, 2012 10:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet (Post 6023205)
I have just been watching Doctor Who and it struck me that Alex Kingston (River Song) could make a good Bellatrix.

I don't see enough craziness there; Bella is deranged, psychotic and unpredictably violent. Alex is a bit too homely... with red hair, I could possibly see her as Molly...?

Right, I'll continue by answering some of my own questions here.

Quote:

Would you re-cast the trio as 10/11 year olds with a view to remaking the films over the seven years of student life at Hogwarts? Or would you start with them a little older, and perhaps condense the film-making process (not the story) into a shorter period, maybe filming some of the instalments back-to-back?
This is one thing I'd had in mind since posting this thread; I think Dan did an exceptional job from the start, but it took until Prisoner of Azkaban for Emma and Rupert to really hit their stride. There are plenty of examples of actors being older than their characters, and whilst there's less leeway with child actors, I think that you could pass off a 13-year old as an 11-year old without too much of a problem, and if you make the films over seven years - then they're still only 19/20 by the end.

Quote:

One of the strengths of the films is the casting, IMO. However, are there any characters whose casting you feel cannot be improved upon from the originals? Conversely, are there any parts you think were mis-cast?
If I had to pick, I'd say Alan Rickman (Snape), Warwick Davis (Flitwick), Dame Maggie Smith (McGonagall) and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) out of the major characters - I find it hard to imagine anyone else in those roles. I'll also have a very hard time seeing anyone other than Dan Radcliffe as Harry, the only current child actor I can think of that has the look of Harry is Asa Butterfield (right down to the untidy hair) - but at 15, he's already a bit too old.

TreacleTartlet July 7th, 2012 11:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6023273)
I don't see enough craziness there; Bella is deranged, psychotic and unpredictably violent. Alex is a bit too homely... with red hair, I could possibly see her as Molly...?

River Song's character isn't crazy like Bella, but that doesn't necessarily mean the actress playing the part can't play deranged and crazy. I myself wouldn't describe Alex a homely. I think she is an excellent actress who has played many parts, some of which are not what I would describe in any way as homely. She is capable imo of playing a deranged, psychotic Bellatrix. That's just my opinion on her as an actress.

mirrormere July 8th, 2012 12:36 am

A few more to consider . . .

Sirius Black:
Craig Horner
Karl Urban

Severus Snape:
Craig Parker

Voldemort:
Doug Jones

RikuStark July 8th, 2012 2:49 am

For a young Tom Riddle: Asa Butterfield. He played Mordred in the TV series Merlin, so I can totally see him playing a young Tom. I can also see him as playing Harry. I know, I know, he has BLUE eyes, but so did Dan, and Asa might not be allergic to contacts like Dan was. (Asa also played Hugo in Hugo)

As for the Robert Downey Jr. suggestion for Sirius I read a few post back, that is a great choice! I can totally see him as Sirius.

Wab July 8th, 2012 3:39 am

Quote:

If I had to pick, I'd say Alan Rickman (Snape), Warwick Davis (Flitwick), Dame Maggie Smith (McGonagall) and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) out of the major characters - I find it hard to imagine anyone else in those roles.

I agree with Robbie Coltrane but not just because he suited Hagrid but because, for me, Hagrid in the books seemed to be very much based on his portrayal of the ghost in Blackadder's Christmas Carol.

Charlotte_Snape July 8th, 2012 4:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6023148)
There's been little mention of the trio - this would, IMO, be the hardest part to re-cast, as I think they really did strike gold with Dan, Emma and Rupert

Agreed. Although I do think Saoirse Ronan would have been brilliant as Hermione :)
http://s16.postimage.org/wggfinuqt/S..._Bones2009.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/53b8nwo6d/2..._bones_031.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/q951ihyzp/1...e_ronan_03.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/bv1nqrd5x/t...1453419892.jpg
http://s13.postimage.org/wwc6rnp7b/desde_mi_cielo_2.jpg

I love that she can look very plain sometimes (Atonement is a good example), but she can also be stunningly beautiful as well. She can do both extremes, and I think it would have made the Yule-Ball scene really special in the fourth film :)

http://s16.postimage.org/km8ol0wh1/1...e_ronan_04.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/hmx6k5xlx/500full.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/h8vukkdid/saoirse_ronan.jpg

I have a couple suggestions for Lily, too. My favorite would be Rachel Hurd-Wood (already mentioned :)), but I also like Lily Cole (who has not had many roles yet, but I think she's very good) and Natascha McElhone (if I was going with the more mature casting of that generation).

http://s11.postimage.org/dzfq1fyj7/1...0620022901.jpghttp://s9.postimage.org/n2n4lqktr/936full_lily_cole.jpghttp://s16.postimage.org/9li4tqtlx/thumbbig_168761.jpg

I like them because they each have really a unique, special presence on the screen that stays with you, and I think that's crucial in order to play Lily, because the role is so small. And of course, they all have beautiful eyes like DanRad! :)

horcrux4 July 8th, 2012 5:00 am

I was looking at Tim Roth earlier and it occured to me he might make a good Voldemort. He can do menacing brilliantly.

As for your earlier question Peakes about who was miscast, I wasn't overly convinced about Jim Broadbent as Slughorn, well though he acted it. I'd rather have seen someone like David Suchet - he wears crazy moustaches well. (Poirot!) I also wasn't taken with Adrian Rawlings as James Potter. I'd like to have seen Jude Law with dark hair and glasses.

Goddess_Clio July 8th, 2012 5:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakes (Post 6023148)
For my part, there have been some actors and actresses listed that I had never even heard of, and some of them have been quite inspired IMO - I wasn't familiar with Adrien Brody for example, but could see him as Professor Snape; then again I find it hard to imagine anyone doing a better job than Alan Rickman

I agree that it's hard to replace Alan Rickman, the only reason I think Adrien Brody would be a better choice for the role is simply for age reasons. Snape in the series is in his mid thirties to early forties and Alan in real life is in his mid sixties. Doesn't stop me from loving him but it does irk me a little bit.

Quote:

There's been little mention of the trio - this would, IMO, be the hardest part to re-cast, as I think they really did strike gold with Dan, Emma and Rupert in terms of getting a trio who grew into their parts and stuck together for ten years of film-making; having to change actors part way through would have been a tough obstacle to overcome.
I'm one who thinks that the trio were just an okay casting. Personally I think Emma was the most talented and I'm not all that impressed with Dan as an actor. The reason it's hard for me to recast the trio is because of the significant growth of the actors, the actual physical growth. The pool of child actors isn't all that huge so if you're looking to recast the trio you have to choose someone who is in their late teens or early twenties and extrapolate that they would be the perfect Harry at age 11.

Quote:

I would probably opt for option two in this scenario simply because we are used to child actors playing younger than they are due to required maturity of the actor and the demands of the role and of the business.

Quote:

are there any characters whose casting you feel cannot be improved upon from the originals?
Perfection for me was achieved in McGonagall almost exclusively. I like Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid but not so much that I can't entertain the idea that another actor could or would equal or surpass his performance.

Quote:

Conversely, are there any parts you think were mis-cast?
Harry - not a fan of Dan
Bellatrix - quirky personal reasons, I saw Helena as the perfect Merope though I think she did a good job in the role
James and Lily - both actors were too old, much too old
Bathilda Bagshot - I imagined her to be more of a grandma and less a scary old lady

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape (Post 6023466)
Agreed. Although I do think Saoirse Ronan would have been brilliant as Hermione :)

I love that she can look very plain sometimes (Atonement is a good example), but she can also be stunningly beautiful as well. She can do both extremes, and I think it would have made the Yule-Ball scene really special in the fourth film :)

o0o0o0o0o0o!!! Yes yes yes!! She would have made a great Hermione!

I'll throw out Theo James as a candidate for young Sirius - (his most well known role was as Kemal Pamuk, the Turkish ambassador guy, in Downton Abbey... :eyebrows: :D)

Wab July 8th, 2012 5:49 am

Much as I liked Emma's portrayal, Rebecca Ryan would have also made a great Hermione at the time.

Richard_G. July 8th, 2012 7:21 am

As much as I hate seeing his name all over tumblr in roleplays as Remus, Andrew Garfield would make a very good Cedric, imo. Much closer to what I imagined.

Also, how has Meryl Streep not been mentioned for McGonagall?

Stanley Tucci is outstanding in anything, but I think he'd be a divine Snape. Or, in a complete 180, Arthur Weasley.

Could Christian Bale do Sirius? I feel he's got that good mix of laughing with a deeper sadness and bitterness in his eyes.

MmeBergerac July 8th, 2012 10:17 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings_Cross (Post 6022829)
However Tennant? A risky pick indeed...he doesn't seem to have enough of that cool guy/bad boy thing to pull off Sirius Black.

I know he doesn't look like the dashing young man Sirius was, though you'll agree that he looks thin enough to slip through the bars of Azkaban :p. Seriously, he's a great actor, he can be cool, serious and crazy at the same time.

I can't see anyone but Alan Rickman as Snape, because, though other actors, like Adrien Brody, can look Snape as well as him, they don't have his voice.

Peakes July 8th, 2012 11:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6023496)
Could Christian Bale do Sirius? I feel he's got that good mix of laughing with a deeper sadness and bitterness in his eyes.

Strange you should mention him; I think Christian Bale would have made an outstanding Harry if the books had been around 10 years earlier - around the time of Empire of the Sun, in other words.

Sereena July 8th, 2012 12:41 pm

Quote:

I don't know who that is but I could see Kristin Scott Thomas playing Bellatrix and doing a wonderful job of it. I don't think she needs to be that deranged actually. Villains are usually scarier if they keep their cool at least once in a while.
Also, Liam Neeson as Remus. For some reason I always thought of him as Remus even though I think David Thewlis is fine as well.

Quickquill July 8th, 2012 1:43 pm

Aside from the fact that Harry's hair isn't quite unruly enough in the first two or three films,I have no complaints about the casting. Nor do I think it is a productive discussion to suggest actors for a recasting of the series so soon after it has finally been finished.

Avra_Kadava14 July 8th, 2012 9:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrymarge (Post 6020984)
I think Johnny Depp would work. not sure if I want him as Severus Snape or Voldemort.
But, I know it is hard to imagine anyone else playing Snape. "Turn to page 394" "Obviously". And his facial expressions, sigh. if Johnny Depp wants to act in the movies, I think he would make a good Voldemort.

I think Jonny Depp would be a great sirius black.

Goddess_Clio July 8th, 2012 10:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 6023517)
I can't see anyone but Alan Rickman as Snape, because, though other actors, like Adrien Brody, can look Snape as well as him, they don't have his voice.

I thought Alan's voice was too deep for Snape, actually. I imagine him with a solid tenor voice, capable of ultrasonic frequencies when Harry starts really pushing his buttons. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickquill (Post 6023532)
I have no complaints about the casting. Nor do I think it is a productive discussion to suggest actors for a recasting of the series so soon after it has finally been finished.

Clearly we're not interested in productivity in this thread :p we're interested in indulging our HP movie fantasies.

What about a dark-haired Dan Stevens for James? He's got a very sweet, open handsomeness about him, not the haughty, beautiful handsome Sirius is supposed to have. I think he'd be a good candidate.

IenjoyAcidPops July 11th, 2012 9:20 am

I'm approaching this less as, "What if another series of films were made now?" than as, "What if the 2001-2011 series hadn't been made, and they were adapting these books now?" An alternate reality rather than a remake. I'm still avoiding any actors who were in the 2001-2011 film series, though. It has nothing to do with being disappointed in cast members from the actual series; on the contrary, I think the casting was the greatest strength of it. I'm also sticking to Brits, just because I want to, with a few notable exceptions.

Tom Baker as Dumbledore
(Glad to see some like-minded Doctor Who fans who’ve already mentioned this one. I’m sure people were suggesting this one back in ’01, but yeah, I’ve wondered about Baker as Dumbledore for years.)

Penelope Wilton as McGonagall

Robert Carlyle as Snape
(I admit to ripping this one off, because I could not think of anyone other than Alan Rickman as Snape until I read the suggestion of Carlyle. He’s not better than Rickman, but I like the choice.)

John Rhys-Davies as Hagrid
(The man's crazy tall anyway, so they wouldn't have to do all that much, effects-wise.)

Martin Freeman as Quirrell

Hugh Grant as Lockhart
(He was almost cast, and although Branagh’s brilliant, Grant’s also a fine choice.)

David Morrissey as Lupin

Geoffrey Rush as Mad-Eye
(One of the first bits of fantasy casting I ever did, before the Goblet of Fire movie even went into production.)

Judi Dench as Umbridge
(I remember picturing this one a lot while reading the book, even though I wouldn’t exactly describe her as “toadlike.” :lol:)

Brian Blessed as Slughorn
(I was rooting for this one, before Jim Broadbent was cast for HBP.)

Tracey Ullman as Trelawney

Ian McShane as Filch

Christian Bale as Voldemort
(I thought about Bale for several roles – including Sirius and Lucius – but this is the one that intrigues me the most.)

Nick Frost as Wormtail
(I really wanted to keep Sirius, Snape, Lupin, and Wormtail in the same age range, and Depp, Carlyle, and Morrissey are all around 50 now, but I struggled with casting Wormtail. I certainly can’t think of anyone better than Timothy Spall, but this isn’t about better as much as different and more current, and I kept coming back to, “Well, Nick Frost would be interesting.”)

Julie Delpy as Bellatrix

Michael Sheen as Lucius Malfoy

Naomi Watts as Narcissa Malfoy
(I was rooting for this one before Helen McCrory was cast for HBP.)

Tim Roth as Fenrir Greyback
(I was rooting for this one before Dave Legeno was cast for HBP – and before I realized Greyback wouldn’t be an actual character in that movie.)

Jonny Lee Miller as Yaxley

Johnny Depp as Sirius
(I thought about whether it's too obvious a choice, but if it's too obvious a choice, I think that's because it's a great choice.)

Karen Gillan as Tonks
(Doctor Who fans know her as Amy Pond.)

Albert Finney as Vernon Dursley
(This is more motivated by wanting Finney involved somewhere, because Vernon’s not a role with much depth, but Albert Finney as Vernon fits.)

Joanna Lumley as Petunia Dursley

Lesley Manville as Molly Weasley

Rowan Atkinson as Arthur Weasley

Ian McKellen as Ollivander

Michael Caine as Barty Crouch
(As with Albert Finney as Vernon, this one is more about getting this actor involved somewhere – but I still like it.)

Steve Coogan as Barty Crouch Jr.
(I don’t know why. Maybe I irrevocably connect Caine and Coogan now after The Trip [and if you haven’t seen the scene where he and Rob Brydon do dueling Michael Caine impressions, you must find it], but there’s something about this one.)

Catherine Tate as Rita Skeeter
(Doctor Who fans will know her as Donna Noble - and she's also a great comic actress.)

Timothy Dalton as Scrimgeour
(I still insist that Dalton would have been better. I was disappointed with Bill Nighy, which still feels strange, because I like Bill Nighy.)

Simon Pegg as Xenophilius Lovegood

Stephen Fry as Aberforth
(I wanted someone who could just as well play Dumbledore, and who’d probably have a sort of similar rhythm to the person playing Dumbledore. There’s also the curiosity factor here, though, of what would Stephen Fry be like as this much darker, bitter figure in the Dumbledore clan?)

The ones I feel the strongest about are Tom Baker, Johnny Depp, Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, and Timothy Dalton, and the hardest one to cast was Bellatrix. Bellatrix, Snape, Hagrid, McGonagall, and Voldemort were the parts for which I struggled the most with selecting alternatives. Those are also the characters where I always, always picture the actors from the movies in my mind’s eye when rereading the books.

I wondered about the older actors - like, if I'm fantasy-casting a movie with 2012 in mind, should I really go for actors as old as Tom Baker, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, and Stephen Fry, for a series as long as this? But it's fantasy-casting, so in a fantasy scenario, why not assume they'd live long enough to play these roles in their entirety?

Peakes July 11th, 2012 12:09 pm

Excellent post, I'll pick up on your last point in particular:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 6024564)
I wondered about the older actors - like, if I'm fantasy-casting a movie with 2012 in mind, should I really go for actors as old as Tom Baker, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, and Stephen Fry, for a series as long as this? But it's fantasy-casting, so in a fantasy scenario, why not assume they'd live long enough to play these roles in their entirety?

This was partly my thinking when I consider using slightly older actors for the trio and making them back-to-back over a period of five years, rather than spread over ten years.

Goddess_Clio July 11th, 2012 4:26 pm

Quote:

Tracey Ullman as Trelawney

:rotfl: I can't imagine that at all... and yet somehow it just might work.

Richard_G. July 13th, 2012 7:10 am

The more I think about it, the more I wish with all my might Tom Baker as Dumbledore had happened. Such an eccentric man capable of turning on a dime and being dark and imposing...it would've been beautiful.

To throw a bone to some Game of Thrones actors, Peter Dinklage for Flitwick and/or Griphook. And Jack Gleeson IS Draco.

Divvie July 13th, 2012 6:53 pm

Quote:

Hugh Grant as Lockhart
(He was almost cast, and although Branagh’s brilliant, Grant’s also a fine choice.)

Ha, I didn't think of that before but now that you mention it (not seen it mentioned before), I can totally see that lol.

MissGryffindor July 15th, 2012 1:31 am

Quote:

Johnny Depp as Sirius
(I thought about whether it's too obvious a choice, but if it's too obvious a choice, I think that's because it's a great choice.)

I have always thought that if there was to be an American version with American actors, he would be perfect for this part. There is something almost Byron-esque about both Sirius and Johnny Depp.

I would also like to put in a punt - as this is fantasy and we can therefore ignore the fact that he has now given up acting - for Peter O'Toole as Dumbledore.

I always thought Ian McNeice would make a good Slughorn, too.

snapes_witch July 15th, 2012 2:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divvie (Post 6025279)
Ha, I didn't think of that before but now that you mention it (not seen it mentioned before), I can totally see that lol.

IMO he's much more crushworthy than KB!

mirrormere July 15th, 2012 3:33 am

Ivanna Lynch would make a great Trelawney now.

Another candidate for Snape: Laurence Fox--and his voice comes pretty close!

Rupert Penry-Jones might make a good Sirius.

Charlotte_Snape July 15th, 2012 1:56 pm

What about Milla Jovovich as Bellatrix??

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...a_jovovich.jpg

I thought of this after remembering her in zoolander :lol: She even wore a very Bellatrix-y outfit in that movie (little snake wrapped around the arm!)

TheScribbler July 16th, 2012 5:00 pm

Stephen Fry as Cornelius Fudge, perhaps? I just can't see him as Dumbledore. Maybe Aberforth.

Matt Smith (Doctor Who) as Sirius would be brilliant! Gosh, I'd get such a thrill out of that.

Asa Butterfield as Harry. (Asa played the little boy in Hugo.)

Sereena July 16th, 2012 5:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape (Post 6025662)
What about Milla Jovovich as Bellatrix?

Too young maybe? Though I'm sure they could make her look older. Speaking of models/actresses how about Eva Green for Bellatrix? Also too young but might work. She has the looks and she can act. Catherine Zeta Jones would have been good too but it's not the sort of role she usually plays.

horcrux4 July 16th, 2012 6:02 pm

Just saw a photo of Anjelica Houston as Morticia Addams - now that is what I always thought Bellatrix looked like!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2w5FHttKHc...cia_addams.jpg

RikuStark July 17th, 2012 2:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheScribbler (Post 6025949)
Stephen Fry as Cornelius Fudge, perhaps? I just can't see him as Dumbledore. Maybe Aberforth.

Matt Smith (Doctor Who) as Sirius would be brilliant! Gosh, I'd get such a thrill out of that.

I cannot see Matt as Sirius. :lol: Not that I wouldn't love it, but I picture Sirius to be more..ahem..sexy. :rolleyes: (Well as sexy as someone can be for being in Azkaban for 12 years, but you know) I bet Matt could pull it off though.

:tu: I agree with Asa. He could be a young Tom too. (As I suggested a page or so back)

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux4 (Post 6025981)
Just saw a photo of Anjelica Houston as Morticia Addams - now that is what I always thought Bellatrix looked like!

Yes! :agree: I agree with the look, but wonder if Anjelica would be able to pull off Bellatrix.

snapes_witch July 17th, 2012 3:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6026155)
Yes! :agree: I agree with the look, but wonder if Anjelica would be able to pull off Bellatrix.

She was most recently in the TV musical series Smash. She could definitely be Bellatrix, she just wouldn't be Helena's crazy Bella.

StarryVeil July 17th, 2012 3:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheScribbler (Post 6025949)

Yes! I can see that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikyStark (Post 6026155)
I cannot see Matt as Sirius. Not that I wouldn't love it, but I picture Sirius to be more..ahem..sexy.

I agree. :lol: Matt Smith's features are a little too wholesome and...er...blunt. I imagine Sirius as having far sharper features. Features like those of...Ben Barnes. :D

Can't you just imagine this as Sirius sitting under the tree in SWM?

RikuStark July 17th, 2012 4:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryVeil (Post 6026266)
Yes! I can see that. :)

I agree. :lol: Matt Smith's features are a little too wholesome and...er...blunt. I imagine Sirius as having far sharper features. Features like those of...Ben Barnes. :D

Can't you just imagine this as Sirius sitting under the tree in SWM?

Barnes has been really popular as a young Sirius. Especially on Youtube. I do agree with this fan casting. he just has that..look?

How about James McAvoy as James? Or Remus? Or even Sirius? :scared: This is what happens when I brings one of my favorite actors into this...I picture him as everyone. I can see him being that fun teacher that everyone loves that also has a dark secret. I can also see him playing a crazy escaped prisoner from Azkaban, but ends up not being so crazy after all...I can also picture him as Snape, but I'm not going to go into that..:relax:

His hair is a bit too dark for Remus though..

Goddess_Clio July 17th, 2012 5:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6026271)
How about James McAvoy as James? Or Remus? Or even Sirius? :scared: This is what happens when I brings one of my favorite actors into this...I picture him as everyone. I can see him being that fun teacher that everyone loves that also has a dark secret. I can also see him playing a crazy escaped prisoner from Azkaban, but ends up not being so crazy after all...I can also picture him as Snape, but I'm not going to go into that..:relax:

I love the idea of James McAvoy but I have the same problem you have - who would he play?

You know? He might make a good Barty Crouch Jr. He has a sweet look about him, one that could get you to trust him, but then he could also play that villainous guy working in the shadows.

I'm really sad right now - I found a great suggestion for a James just the other day but now I can't remember who it was.

RikuStark July 18th, 2012 4:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6026275)
I love the idea of James McAvoy but I have the same problem you have - who would he play?

You know? He might make a good Barty Crouch Jr. He has a sweet look about him, one that could get you to trust him, but then he could also play that villainous guy working in the shadows.

I'm really sad right now - I found a great suggestion for a James just the other day but now I can't remember who it was.

Oh I can see him as Crouch Jr. now too. Although I personally think David was perfect as Crouch Jr., he'll stick in my fantasy cast. :agree: For playing a baddie of sorts I think he could be a good Quirrel even. Or even Lucius as well, if we planted a wig on him of course. Maybe I should just keep McAvoy out of my mind, I'll just cast him as everyone at this rate.

I'm sure you'll remember. :)

Apheka July 19th, 2012 9:09 am

I didn't think I could find a new Hermione until I saw The Golden Compass and The Secret of Moonacre and Dakota Blue Richards was very good in both.

Charlotte_Snape July 19th, 2012 4:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissGryffindor (Post 6025588)
I would also like to put in a punt - as this is fantasy and we can therefore ignore the fact that he has now given up acting - for Peter O'Toole as Dumbledore.

Ohohohohoh YES! :clap: Loved him in Troy & he would have made a brilliant Dumbledore :) He's really tall, has the twinkly blue eyes, and a great voice, too. Also just remembered that this is who Richard Harris' family suggested for the role after he passed away...

http://free-picture-hosting.net/?di=PYUR

Quote:

What about Orlando Bloom?? I saw this pic of him as a little boy, and he reminded me of Dan a little bit :)

http://free-picture-hosting.net/?di=VOBW

I think he would also be good as Sirius (he has the same good looks as Ben Barnes!)
http://free-picture-hosting.net/?di=WPSP

Idea for a non-british Voldemort: Willem Dafoe

mirrormere July 19th, 2012 4:45 pm

I was reviewing "The Walking Dead" the other day and realized that the kid who plays Carl (Chandler Riggs) would make a very good Harry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3385128/

Wab July 20th, 2012 1:18 am

On looks alone Dylan Moran would be a great James.

And from left-field Lenny Henry as Dumbledore.

StarryVeil July 20th, 2012 1:52 am

Quote:

I look forward to the day your remember because, like you, nobody ever looks like James to me! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 6026954)
On looks alone Dylan Moran would be a great James.

Nah, can't see it. :lol: I just looked at some of his pictures and he seems too old, first of all, and...puffy? I dunno, his face has this constant "I-just-got-out-of-bed" look to me.

mirrormere July 23rd, 2012 3:59 pm

Another candidate for Sirius: Matt Bomer (http://imdb.com/name/nm0093589/)

Blue_Pikachu July 25th, 2012 5:32 pm

Viggo Mortensen as Sirius Black. Oh god. That'd be perfect.
And Lindsay Lohan as Ginny Weasley. She'd be a very cute first years, and then developing in the beautiful woman Ginny becomes.
Cedric Diggory would be Penn Badgley. Damn, looks like I'm picking all American actors!

StarryVeil July 26th, 2012 1:22 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Pikachu (Post 6028377)
Viggo Mortensen as Sirius Black. Oh god. That'd be perfect.

I agree. I think Viggo in his Aragorn make-up would be an awesome Sirius. Perhaps a little paler and slightly less wavy hair, but on the whole, an excellent choice. :love:

Quote:

And Lindsay Lohan as Ginny Weasley. She'd be a very cute first years, and then developing in the beautiful woman Ginny becomes.
Meh, can't really see this one. Maybe it's just her bad rep influencing me, though. :lol:

Blue_Pikachu July 26th, 2012 7:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryVeil (Post 6028495)
I
Meh, can't really see this one. Maybe it's just her bad rep influencing me, though. :lol:

Her bad reputation now is indeed a huge off, but she used to be so cute in Parent Trap where she played that twin. And in Mean Girls! *sigh* She'd be a perfect Ginny in my eyes, the old Lindsay though! :D

And oh, Emily Blunt as Tonks.

terazades July 26th, 2012 8:02 pm

When I was reading PoA for the first time way back when. Sirius Black was Johnny Depp to me. Johnny Depp just looks like Sirius without even trying.

asdfasdf17 July 26th, 2012 10:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by terazades (Post 6028672)
When I was reading PoA for the first time way back when. Sirius Black was Johnny Depp to me. Johnny Depp just looks like Sirius without even trying.

Johnny Depp would be awesome! Personally, I thought pre-Azkaban Sirius would look exactly like Johnny Depp. But from what I remember, the book described him as having lost his good-looks so in my imagination, post-Azkaban Sirius would be a lot less attractive. He would be really skinny with long, matted hair, sunken eyes, and really skeleton-like. But even as post-Azkaban Sirius, I think Johnny Depp would be great for the role because he is a great actor and if you've seen him in any Tim Burton movies, you know he can really change his appearance!

Charlotte_Snape July 29th, 2012 5:19 am

My new favorite Ginny: Georgie Henley! :)
http://i.imgur.com/6tt8P.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/Nbpk2.jpg?1
Although Bonnie fits the physical description much better, I think Georgie acts much more like canon-Ginny. She's really funny, lively, and bold, and I think she would fit right in w/the rest of the Weasley bunch (would have been great to see her opposite the twins & Rupert, especially! All of them very animated.)

Also from Narnia, I think Skandar Keynes could play a young James Potter in SWM (the hair :love:):
http://i.imgur.com/LUEyR.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/KKZl6.jpg?1

And another idea for Lily: Alexis Bledel??
http://i.imgur.com/gV0T4.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/asVeV.jpg?1

horcrux4 July 29th, 2012 2:21 pm

I agree about Georgie Henley - she would make an excellent Ginny.

TheScribbler July 29th, 2012 3:36 pm

Ooh, Skander Kaynes! Good thought. He could work for young Sirius, too.

ShadowSonic July 29th, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm surprised no one suggested Rachel Hurd-Wood for Ginny.

StarryVeil July 29th, 2012 5:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6029251)
I'm surprised no one suggested Rachel Hurd-Wood for Ginny.

I suggested her for Lily above. :)

Jenna_Keatley July 29th, 2012 5:52 pm

Although Depp looks like Sirius, I don't think the personality of the character is the best fit. I'd actually like to see his interpretation of Alastar Moody, even though the make-up team would have their work cut out for them making him look the part.

snapes_witch July 29th, 2012 10:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna_Keatley (Post 6029254)
Although Depp looks like Sirius, I don't think the personality of the character is the best fit. I'd actually like to see his interpretation of Alastar Moody, even though the make-up team would have their work cut out for them making him look the part.

I think Johnny would be excellent as an eccentric character like Moody. The makeup shouldn't be a problem; wasn't Gleeson's only makeup the strapped on magic eye?

Jenna_Keatley July 29th, 2012 11:52 pm

I believe so, yes, but Depp eternally looks quite young and Moody was described as being a very weathered-looking fellow in the books. Gleeson looked much more appropriate for the roll on his own.

horcrux4 July 30th, 2012 12:21 am

I think I'd like to see Daniel Day-Lewis as Mad-eye.

snapes_witch July 30th, 2012 12:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna_Keatley (Post 6029278)
I believe so, yes, but Depp eternally looks quite young and Moody was described as being a very weathered-looking fellow in the books. Gleeson looked much more appropriate for the roll on his own.

True about his looks, but makeup technique is quite advanced. Wasn't there a Brad Pitt (?) movie where he was a very old man?

ShadowSonic July 30th, 2012 1:20 am

You mean Benjamin Button? Yeah, they did a good job making Brad Pitt old there. He looked exactly like Robert Redford!

snapes_witch July 30th, 2012 5:55 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6029301)
You mean Benjamin Button? Yeah, they did a good job making Brad Pitt old there. He looked exactly like Robert Redford!

Thanks, that's the movie I was thinking of.

horcrux4 July 30th, 2012 10:50 pm

I've been watching a Miss Marple which had Peter Davison in it and I thought what a good Lupin he'd make. He comes over very gentle and kind (despite being the murderer in that particular programme!)

Richard_G. August 13th, 2012 8:16 am

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...%20Micucci.jpg

She's not British, but god Kate Micucci is literally EXACTLY, carbon-copy perfect for Tonks imo.

asdfasdf17 August 13th, 2012 10:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6032156)
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...%20Micucci.jpg

She's not British, but god Kate Micucci is literally EXACTLY, carbon-copy perfect for Tonks imo.

Wow she really is! I wonder how well she would have played Tonks if cast?

RikuStark August 15th, 2012 4:20 am

Jake Abel as an older Draco?

HedwigOwl August 15th, 2012 4:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux4 (Post 6029495)
I've been watching a Miss Marple which had Peter Davison in it and I thought what a good Lupin he'd make. He comes over very gentle and kind (despite being the murderer in that particular programme!)

Although I like Peter Davison well enough, I'm not sure he'd be good in that role. I have to say that of the "modern" era of Doctor Who, I was a bit disappointed in his portrayal there. I don't think that's a good genre for him. He seems well suited for a different sort of character -- he was quite good in The Last Detective series, for example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6029269)
I think Johnny would be excellent as an eccentric character like Moody. The makeup shouldn't be a problem; wasn't Gleeson's only makeup the strapped on magic eye?

Actually, I'd like to see Depp take a shot at being Snape....assuming that having Alan Rickman again would be out of the question.

ShadowSonic August 15th, 2012 4:54 am

What about the original choice, Tim Roth, for Snape?

snapes_witch August 15th, 2012 7:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6032476)
What about the original choice, Tim Roth, for Snape?

nononononononooooooo

Actually I like Roth, I think he's a fine actor, but he's just not Snape. It would be interesting to see his interpretation; he did say he'd have been a different Snape. I wonder about his costume since the buttoned up Snape was AR's idea.

horcrux4 August 16th, 2012 3:18 am

I agree I can't quite see Tim Roth as Snape but I could see him playing Voldemort.

captain_mills August 16th, 2012 3:30 am

He's got too much nose to be Voldemort, lol

(and I've got nothing against noses, mind you...) ;)

Apheka August 19th, 2012 7:44 am

Not strictly British but I watched Donald Sutherland in "The Eagle" last night and he would have made a wonderful Dumbledore.

undsy1525 August 19th, 2012 8:35 am

I would love to see Adrian Brody as snape...
http://kingdomcomemovie.org/wp-conte...rian-Brody.jpg
I looove Alan Rickman, so no complaints.

Johnny Depp is the obvious choice for Sirius..
http://creazone.org/_ph/13/1/684133564.jpg

I think they did a brilliant job casting... :)

snapes_witch August 19th, 2012 8:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_mills (Post 6032664)
He's got too much nose to be Voldemort, lol

(and I've got nothing against noses, mind you...) ;)

That's no problem. The CGI pretty much removed Ralph Fiennes's nose.

horcrux4 August 19th, 2012 10:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6033508)
That's no problem. The CGI pretty much removed Ralph Fiennes's nose.

True, and I think Tim Roth does evil brilliantly!

1BellaLestrange September 2nd, 2012 7:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6021349)
Lena Headey as Narcissa Malfoy, I mean heck just see her as Queen Cersei and she's already got the look down pat.

I think she would make a brilliant Narcissa Malfoy.

slytherin001 September 17th, 2012 10:31 pm

Ok, lemme see.

Dumbledore: either Michael Caine or Charles Dance. Wait, I actually think Charles Dance could make a good DE, maybe Yaxley?

Lupin: The Fassbender for sure.

Snape: I really could see Daniel-Day Lewis. He's a bit too handsome for Snape though. But something about him reminds me of Snape. I think it might be his lankness and he's really quite angular.

McGonagall: I cannot even contemplate it. Maggie Smith is near perfection for the role!

Umbridge: Meryl Streep. Seriously. Imelda Staunton was amazing, but I would kill to see le Streep at it.

Lockhart: Kenneth Branagh or Colin Firth.

Draco: Jack Gleeson. He plays a blonde snot well enough in Game of Thrones.:p

Sirius: Mark Strong.

Hmm, I can't think of any more. Heck, just divide the roles equally between Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman. That outta do it.:yuhup:

Charlotte_Snape September 18th, 2012 5:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slytherin001 (Post 6040322)
McGonagall: I cannot even contemplate it. Maggie Smith is near perfection for the role!

I was watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks tonight w/my little boy and I thought "OMG, McGonagall!" :lol:

snapes_witch September 18th, 2012 9:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape (Post 6040407)
I was watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks tonight w/my little boy and I thought "OMG, McGonagall!" :lol:

Angela Lansbury! :clap:

Fury September 18th, 2012 3:26 pm

Bob Hoskins -- Professor Slughorn
Nicole Kidman -- Narcissa Malfoy
Daniel Day-Lewis -- Fenrir Greyback
Karen Gillian -- Lily Potter (Please?)
Aaron Johnson-- James Potter (Please also?)
Johnny Depp or Robert Downey, Jr -- Sirius Black (however, OOTP Gary Oldman has now been imprinted in my brain as Sirius Black)
Julian Sands -- Remus Lupin (Though, again, David Thewlis has been imprinted on my brain!)
Angela Lansbury -- Bathilda Bagshot

yorkiedoodle September 19th, 2012 4:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fury (Post 6040452)
Bob Hoskins -- Professor Slughorn
Nicole Kidman -- Narcissa Malfoy
Daniel Day-Lewis -- Fenrir Greyback
Karen Gillian -- Lily Potter (Please?)
Aaron Johnson-- James Potter (Please also?)
Johnny Depp or Robert Downey, Jr -- Sirius Black (however, OOTP Gary Oldman has now been imprinted in my brain as Sirius Black)
Julian Sands -- Remus Lupin (Though, again, David Thewlis has been imprinted on my brain!)
Angela Lansbury -- Bathilda Bagshot

Sadly Bob Hoskins has retired from acting due to ill-health:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoskins

ShadowSonic September 19th, 2012 4:46 pm

He was one of the actors considered for Slughorn originally though.

If they hadn't already used him for Vernon, Richard Griffiths would've been the perfect casting.

I keep trying to think of who Tim Curry could have played.

snapes_witch September 19th, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm sorry to read that about Bob Hoskins.

Tim Curry? I would loved to have seen him in HP but can't think of a role for him. No, he wouldn't have been a good Snape in case someone's going to suggest that!:relax:

ShadowSonic September 19th, 2012 10:11 pm

Remembering him as the Lord of Darkness in "Legend", he wouldn't necessarily have to play a human character!

Charlotte_Snape September 19th, 2012 10:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6040684)
Remembering him as the Lord of Darkness in "Legend", he wouldn't necessarily have to play a human character!

Firenze?

MoscowKrum October 15th, 2012 12:06 pm

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) as Sirius Black

Anthony Hopkins as Moody

Rowan Atkinson as Voldemort

Sean Bean as a DE

horcrux4 October 15th, 2012 2:42 pm

Rowan Atkinson as Voldemort has to be one of the oddest suggestions I've seen! What made you think of him?

ShadowSonic October 15th, 2012 2:58 pm

He was one of the actors considered for him before they settled on Ralph Fiennes.

MoscowKrum October 17th, 2012 1:10 am

Continuing from above, I have always
agreed with Patricia Routledge as Umbridge.

How about James McAvoy as young Lupin in SWM?

Green_Arrow October 17th, 2012 1:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscowKrum (Post 6045485)
Rowan Atkinson as Voldemort

Hahaha! Only if they're planning to make a spoof version of Harry Potter. :rotfl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6045498)
He was one of the actors considered for him before they settled on Ralph Fiennes.

Where's the scare factor? I just start imagining as Mr Bean! :rotfl:Too funny!

ShadowSonic October 17th, 2012 1:50 am

Well, Fiennes' Voldemort isn't all that intimidating either...

horcrux4 October 17th, 2012 4:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6045843)
Well, Fiennes' Voldemort isn't all that intimidating either...

I can see what you mean but he's still more intimidating than Mr Bean! Maybe Tim Curry could be Voldemort?

snapes_witch October 17th, 2012 4:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6045498)

That's just bizarre!!

MoscowKrum October 17th, 2012 7:31 pm

We could have a tough time finding a new
actor for Hagrid. Robbie Coltrane was
chosen by Rowling herself.

Also, having seen her in the Bond films, I could
see Judi Dench as McGonagal.

asdfasdf17 October 17th, 2012 9:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscowKrum (Post 6045839)
Continuing from above, I have always
agreed with Patricia Routledge as Umbridge.

How about James McAvoy as young Lupin in SWM?

I like your young Lupin suggestion, though I think he might be too old (and somewhat more better-looking than the young Lupin in my head- not that I think Lupin is ugly, just waaaay average)

Wab October 17th, 2012 10:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscowKrum (Post 6045985)
We could have a tough time finding a new
actor for Hagrid. Robbie Coltrane was
chosen by Rowling herself.

Hardly surprising, given that Hagrid seems to be based on Coltrane in Blackadder's Christmas Carol.