View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:54 pm
anabel's Avatar
anabel  Undisclosed.gif anabel is offline
Member of the Order
Join Date: 24th September 2004
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 9,184
Re: "separated by a common language"

What Americans call biscuits appear to be a type of scone.

In Britain we call big chewy round things with chocolate chips in them cookies, while small, hard things that come in packets and can sit on the supermarket shelves for a year or two without going stale are biscuits. Oreos are what we would call biscuits, but the picture above illustrates chocolate chip cookies.

According to my Delia Smith cookery book, the word biscuit means "baked twice" and originally applied to bread that was dried in the oven to preserve it, ie baked twice! Sailors used to eat ship's biscuit as a staple part of their diet on long voyages.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Sponsored Links