Thread: Spanish
View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:53 pm
First Year

Re: Spanish

Hi, I'm a native speaker in both English and Spanish. Happy to answer any questions. You can owl me, if you like.

Hola, hablo inglés y español a nivel nativo. Estoy contenta de ayudar si alguien tiene alguna pregunta. Me podéis owlear, si queréis.
Por cierto, ¿alguien ha leido los ebooks oficiales en español? ¿Han cambiado alguna parte de la traducción?

Funny story: I have an early edition of the Spanish translation of Philosopher's Stone. It has an awful mistake that was fixed in later editions. It translated 'bogeys' (as in "bogey-flavoured Every-Flavoured-Bean" and "Eurgh, troll bogies") as 'duende', which is a general Spanish term for small, humanoid magical creatures, like fairies, gnomes and elves. I guess they mistook it for the "evil or mischevious spirit" meaning of the word "bogey". So yeah, Fred once had an elf-flavoured Bean. As for "Eurgh, troll bogies", that must have really confused them, so they left it as "Eurgh".
The worst permanent translation in the books is "O.W.L.s" and "N.E.W.T.s" becoming "T.I.M.O.S." AND "E.X.T.A.S.I.S". That even made it into the movies whyyyyyyy, so embarassing.

Sponsored Links