Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

Old April 17th, 2008, 5:44 am
Banned

Re: Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
@Lily_Cherie: J'ai étudié la traduction des textes techniques en français et anglais * l'université et ici je connais une dame provençale qui a été ici depuis plus de 40 ans, mais elle parle encore le français comme je te l'ai décrit.
Bonjour Titania - I'm answering for Lily, who's off to California to visit some relatives of ours. I don't think she'll have much time to come on-line in the next couple of weeks.

Accents are funny things. Some people can change theirs with their environment, some get stuck with theirs for life. I have a colleague from Marseille, who speaks French with a "normal" accent, but her mother has a very strong Southern accent. One of my brothers lived in Switzerland for a long time; when he came to visit me in NY, my French-speaking friends were in stitches over his, not only Swiss, but typically Lausanne accent. He wasn't even aware he had an accent!

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 7:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
Gipro has it right.

Benzo was confused because she thought Lily lived in Calgary and wondered why didn't speak English. Lily replied that you, Sirius Lee G, live in Calgary, not her, since she lives in France, at least when she's not visiting me, her cousin, in the US as she's doing right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
Well I'm no French speaker, but I think Benzo got your signature confused with Lily Cherie, and asked her if she lived in Calgary. She told him no, that you did, and that she is from France.
ooohhh! I see! thanks guys!
haha i wish I could say the same gipro203!

yes fleur du jardin! i've heard about you! you seem helpful and very kind
that's cool! taht you guys are related!

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Old April 17th, 2008, 9:34 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

@FleurduJardin: It's funny that you mention a Swiss accent. I recently got to chat to a lady from the French part of Switzerland and when she spoke English it took me a while to detect her accent, it was ever so slight and there was just no way I could have noticed that she was a French native speaker, her English was that good. Some people think I have a French accent in Spanish and English whereas French people sometimes think I was just from a different part of France. Even though I have lived in England for almost eight years now and feel more confident speaking English than French I still think that my French accent is better than my English accent as O travelled to France on a regular basis as a teenager and to Britain a few years later.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Bonjour Titania - I'm answering for Lily, who's off to California to visit some relatives of ours. I don't think she'll have much time to come on-line in the next couple of weeks.

Accents are funny things. Some people can change theirs with their environment, some get stuck with theirs for life. I have a colleague from Marseille, who speaks French with a "normal" accent, but her mother has a very strong Southern accent. One of my brothers lived in Switzerland for a long time; when he came to visit me in NY, my French-speaking friends were in stitches over his, not only Swiss, but typically Lausanne accent. He wasn't even aware he had an accent!
You're right about the accent! It's really insidious. I live in Switzerland since 2006, and I sometimes realise that my husband really speaks like a native of the country. He employs typical words like "jacquette" instead of "veste", and he doesn't even realise it. And I'm sure I do the same ! One of my aunts lives in Germany for many years, and when she speaks french, she has a very strong german accent. And when she speaks german, people says she has a very strong french accent. That's really a funny thing!

Old May 7th, 2008, 4:16 am
First Year

I know what you mean. I'm from French Canadian descent and I'm in a Continental French class.

I can't add much conversation, but I understand a lot being spoken or written.

Old May 11th, 2008, 12:36 am
Banned

Driving around the countryside made me think of this old French folk song

A u jardin de mon père, les lilas sont fleuris
Au jardin de mon père, les lilas sont fleuris
Tous les oiseaux du monde viennent y faire leur nid

Auprès de ma blonde, qu'il fait bon, fait bon, fait bon
Auprès de ma blonde, qu'il fait bon dormir

In my father's garden the lilacs are in bloom
All the birds in the world come to nest there
By my blonde beauty's side how very nice it is it is
By my blonde beauty's side how very nice it is to sleep

Old May 11th, 2008, 6:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post

Driving around the countryside made me think of this old French folk song

A u jardin de mon père, les lilas sont fleuris
Au jardin de mon père, les lilas sont fleuris

Auprès de ma blonde, qu'il fait bon, fait bon, fait bon
Auprès de ma blonde, qu'il fait bon dormir

In my father's garden the lilacs are in bloom
All the birds in the world come to nest there
By my blonde beauty's side how very nice it is it is
By my blonde beauty's side how very nice it is to sleep
I never did make out if the singer was supposed to be a man or a woman. You have the refrain, where it's obviously a man enjoying a little nap by his blonde girlfriend's side, but the rest of the lyrics go:

La caille la tourterelle, et la jolie perdrix
Et la blanche colombe, qui chante jour et nuit

And here's the clincher:

Qui chante pour les filles qui n'ont pas de mari
Pour moi ne chante guère, car j'en ai un joli

(I love that last!)

It means:... All the birds in the world come and make their nest there
The quail, the turtle dove and the pretty partridge
And the white lovebird that sings day and night
That sings for girls who don't have a husband
For me it doesn't sing much, for I have a pretty nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaian View Post
You're right about the accent! It's really insidious. I live in Switzerland since 2006, and I sometimes realise that my husband really speaks like a native of the country. He employs typical words like "jacquette" instead of "veste", and he doesn't even realise it. And I'm sure I do the same ! One of my aunts lives in Germany for many years, and when she speaks french, she has a very strong german accent. And when she speaks german, people says she has a very strong french accent. That's really a funny thing!
Yes accents are funny... It depends if the person has an ear for it or not (like being able to carry a tune).

I know some French people who've been living in the US for decades, know and write English pretty well, but speak with an atrocious accent.

Among celebrities, Oliver Stone's mother is French, I think (I know he came to the French Consulate once to claim his French passport to go to a country where US citizens are not allowed to go) but his spoken French is atrocious. On the other hand, I was very impressed with Jodie Foster, who speaks colloquial French like she'd been brought up in France. I'm not sure of her background about that, though.

A fairly good number of French actors and actresses speak good enough English to play in English language movies - Alain Delon, for example, always dubs himself in either language (like in the movie "Adieu l'Ami" ("Honor Among Thieves" here), he speaks French in the French version, and he dubs himself in English in the American version, or is it vice versa? I think Charles Bronson does the same in that movie too, as he does in "Rider on the Rain", and his partner in the movie Marlène Jobert does the same.

Canadian French accent is something else. I have trouble understanding it sometimes, when it's very strong.

Old May 12th, 2008, 6:12 am
Banned

I found it on YouTube. I hadn't known about "the girls who don't have a husband" but strangely enough, the husband gone away (presumably to fight a war) rings a distant bell (or is it a distant drum?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNUT8Bgt--E

Oh and my pretty lilac picture disappeared!!

I'll try to put it back later.

It occurs to me that the best way to learn a language is through folk songs, especially sub-titled and illustrated. Here are some:

Gentil Coquelicot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZhze4s-tc

En passant par la Lorraine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnuus1j8CM

This one for some reason they're missing the last few lines
After Il m'a donné pour étrennes, avec mes sabots
Un bouquet de marjolaines, avec mes sabots dondaine
Avec mes sabots

Je l'ai planté dans la plaine, avec mes sabots, etc.
S'il fleurit je serai reine, avec mes sabots
Mais s'il meurt je perds ma peine, avec mes sabots dondaine, etc.

Malbrough s'en va-t-en guerre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuClrrZBxk

V'l* l'bon vent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJsjp7Yw1jE

Tons of others on YouTube if you're interested.

Old May 12th, 2008, 5:11 pm
Third Year

I didn't know about Oliver Stone, but I heard Jodie Foster speaking about her movies and that's true she speaks perfectly French. I'd like to speak English as she speaks French! And I think she dubs herself in the french version of her films.
Muggle Magic, thanks for the links, that's a great idea, even for a french-speaking person. I mean, my four year old son will be delighted to watch it. He learns Gentil coquelicot at school but I don't know the lyrics, so this help is welcome .

Old May 14th, 2008, 3:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
En passant par la Lorraine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnuus1j8CM

This one for some reason they're missing the last few lines
After Il m'a donné pour étrennes, avec mes sabots
Un bouquet de marjolaines, avec mes sabots dondaine
Avec mes sabots

Je l'ai planté dans la plaine, avec mes sabots, etc.
S'il fleurit je serai reine, avec mes sabots
Mais s'il meurt je perds ma peine, avec mes sabots dondaine, etc.
This version has almost all the missing verses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4G7T2Ai_g

Though they stop at "S'il fleurit je serai reine", don't say what happens if the flowers die. That's being more optimistic, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaian View Post
I didn't know about Oliver Stone, but I heard Jodie Foster speaking about her movies and that's true she speaks perfectly French. I'd like to speak English as she speaks French! And I think she dubs herself in the french version of her films.
Yes, I don't know where she learned to speak French, but her accent is perfect and her vocabulary is modern, up-to-date, not the kind of French learned in foreign high schools.

On the other hand Sigourney Weaver has a terrible accent and not much vocabulary. I saw her interviewed when she went to France to promote a movie. She insisted on speaking French, which was very nice of her, but she was almost incomprehensible. The anchor gently tried to steer her back to English, but she kept speaking French, it was funny.

On the other way round, Catherine Deneuve's accented English was terrible at the Oscar ceremonies back in 1992. She tried to make a few jokes but they fell flat because no one understood them!

Quote:
Muggle Magic, thanks for the links, that's a great idea, even for a french-speaking person. I mean, my four year old son will be delighted to watch it. He learns Gentil coquelicot at school but I don't know the lyrics, so this help is welcome .
Songs, nursery rhymes, etc., is the best way to learn a language I think. Especially for children. This is so cool, for your son to have this nice clip to sing Gentil Coquelicot along with. Can you maybe copy it on to his computer if he has one he uses at school? I know 4 years-old is a bit young, but kids are such whizzes with computer nowadays!

Old May 14th, 2008, 10:49 am
Third Year

Quote:
Songs, nursery rhymes, etc., is the best way to learn a language I think. Especially for children. This is so cool, for your son to have this nice clip to sing Gentil Coquelicot along with. Can you maybe copy it on to his computer if he has one he uses at school? I know 4 years-old is a bit young, but kids are such whizzes with computer nowadays!
I agree. Thee best way to learn a language is songs, stories... My son goes to a bilingual school (French and German), and he often sings in German. The problem is that I don't uderstand much because his pronunciation is not so good yet. I started to learn english at 3, and I think it was advantageous for me .
About the computer thing, I must close the room where my computer is because he does know how to use it, he knows internet and how to get to the Shaun the sheep site for games . It's unbelievable!

Old May 14th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Yes, learning songs helps to learn another language. I am now learning Icelandic and I have got some CDs.

By the way, I had a look at Jodie Foster's biography, she attended a French Lycée in Los Angeles which explains why she is so good at French.

Old May 17th, 2008, 4:21 pm
First Year

Hi !

It's been so long I had a look on this thread !

I just wanted to join in the talk about accents;

I went to Texas last April and although I took 9 years of English and am currently reading English in university, it's been so hard for me to understand what people told me ! I had them repeating two or three times before finally understanding ! I didn't expected the accent to be so hard to understand !

We met another French one day, who had been living in Texas for years and years and it was so strange to hear him speaking french: he had an american accent !

Old May 17th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermyMacGo View Post
I just wanted to join in the talk about accents;

I went to Texas last April and although I took 9 years of English and am currently reading English in university, it's been so hard for me to understand what people told me ! I had them repeating two or three times before finally understanding ! I didn't expected the accent to be so hard to understand !

We met another French one day, who had been living in Texas for years and years and it was so strange to hear him speaking french: he had an american accent !
I know what you mean. I went to Texas some years ago, and their very flat "a"s threw me off. You know, like "you want a naaaaaypkin?" (from a waitress at a diner offering me napkins)

When I first went to the French-speaking part of Canada, my friends and I stayed with a local family as paying guests and the first night, I was flummoxed, I couldn't understand a word my hosts were saying, and I was thinking to myself "I know both English and French, how come I can't make head or tail of the conversation?

The French person you met who had an American accent reminds me of my brother and his Swiss accent. But that's inevitable (if you have an ear for accent) to take on the accent of the people surrounding you.

Also adopt some anglicisms that are "faux amis" (like "to deceive" doesn't mean "décevoir") - Same in every language, I once met some French people in Venezuela who were talking very Hispanized French, like "la conférence va fracasser" (they meant " the Conference is going to fail", not "going to break" in the physical sense.) "Fracasar" in Spanish meaning to fail, while "fracasser" in French means to shatter (as a glass dropped on the floor will shatter.)

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:24 pm
Second Year

Je m'appelle Sarah et j'ai seize ans. Actuellement, j'apprendre le Français * l'école * ce moment, alors... je m'excuse si j'ai beaucoup des erreurs! J'adore la langue car je pense qu'il est très belle. <3
J'ai fini mes examens pour le Français, ainsi je n'ai pas besoin d'aide * ce moment. Peut-être, en l'avenir?

J'espère que vous-êtes bien!

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Old May 26th, 2008, 4:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahx View Post
Je m'appelle Sarah et j'ai seize ans. Actuellement, j'apprendre le Français * l'école * ce moment, alors... je m'excuse si j'ai beaucoup des erreurs! J'adore la langue car je pense qu'il est très belle. <3
J'ai fini mes examens pour le Français, ainsi je n'ai pas besoin d'aide * ce moment. Peut-être, en l'avenir?

J'espère que vous-êtes bien!
(Moi aussi, je crois que j'ai beaucoup d'erreurs... peut-etre je devrais avoir moins que toi, parce que je suis un peu plus âgée (j'ai dix-sept ans), mais...)

Est-ce que c'était tes GCSEs que tu as passé cette année? J'aimerais trouver des autres jeunes qui apprennent le Français pour AS et A2, parce que maintenant il n'y a personne * part de moi dans ma classe qui l'apprend. Les autres l'ont quitté parce que ils pensent que c'est trop difficile, mais moi, je suis d'accord avec toi que c'est très belle, et en plus, j'aime la musique français et j'aime lire des livres français. Mes copains ne l'aime pas, et je pense que c'est pourquoi ils pense que c'est très difficile...ils ne veulent pas essayer très dur, parce que ils ne le trouvent pas très intéressant.

(ugh, I had to change the keyboard settings to type accents, and now everything's in funny places *flails* Changing back to normal now )

Old May 26th, 2008, 7:38 pm
Second Year

Ahhh, j'apprendre français pour AS * ce moment. J'ai fini mes GCSE's l'année derniere, et j'ai reçu un degré de B. Tu as MSN? J'ai quelque amis qui parlent français mais la majorité ne parlent pas ça.
Ahhh, j'adore la musique de français! Tu aime Vanessa Paradis? Ou Saez? Je pense qu'ils sont très bon. Je suis d'accord que la langue est très difficile mais je l'aime, alors... je vais continuer.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:21 am
Fourth Year

Moi aussi, je fais l'AS cette année. L'année dernière j'ai reçu un A* pour ma GCSE, mais je ne comprends pas comment exactement
Je ne connais pas Saez. J'aime Vanessa Paradis, mais je préfère les groupes rock, comme Kyo et Noir Désir.
Oui, j'ai MSN. Je vais t'envoyer un hibou avec ma adresse si tu veux.

Edit: en fait, on peut trouver ma adresse de MSN en haut de ce post...*facepalm*

Last edited by BabyWerewolf; May 27th, 2008 at 12:24 am.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:33 am
Banned

J'encourage vivement tous les gens qui aiment la langue française * l'apprendre. C'est vrai que c'est une belle langue, et pas si difficile que ça. Vraiment.

Une petite remarque * Baby Werewolf (what a cute username! Is your name Teddy by any chance? ) - on dit "mon adresse", bien que le mot "adresse" soit féminin. C'est une question d'euphonie. (You can compare this with the Spanish "el agua" while "agua" is feminine and thus should be "la", but 2 "a"s in a row is not harmonious to the ear.)

A man will also refer to his wife as "mon épouse" and not "ma épouse", though he will say "ma fille". You also say "mon amie" (also "mon ami" au masculin of course)

Bon courage * tous ceux et celles qui se battent avec la grammaire et l'orthographe françaises! Mind you, it's sometimes as hard to learn English pronunciation, as it is so illogical ("lead" (conduire) and "lead" (plomb) are pronounced differently, as are "to live" and "a live spectacle", "to clean" and "cleanser", etc...) Mais pardon, je suis dans le mauvais "thread" pour l'anglais!

Old May 27th, 2008, 12:50 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
J
Une petite remarque * Baby Werewolf (what a cute username! Is your name Teddy by any chance? ) - on dit "mon adresse", bien que le mot "adresse" soit féminin. C'est une question d'euphonie. (You can compare this with the Spanish "el agua" while "agua" is feminine and thus should be "la", but 2 "a"s in a row is not harmonious to the ear.)
No, I'm not Teddy If I were, that would make my obsession with his father rather bad

Every time I think I've got the hang of word genders...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab