Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:11 pm
First Year

Re: Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly91 View Post
J'ai étudié le français * l'école et maintenant je ne l'étudie plus * l'université. * la fin de julliet j'irai * Paris avec mes soeurs,donc je dois reviser un peu de grammatique

I've studied French at school and now I study it no more at university. At the end of July I'm going to Paris with my sisters,so I have to practice it before
Super! En October Je vais aller a paris pour vivre. Je serai une assistante etrangers dans une ecole elementaire. J'ai hate!

Loving R/Hr since 1997.
Il n'y a qu'un bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'être aimé - George Sand
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:18 pm
First Year

ça sera magnifique je ne suis jamais allée * Paris,mais je suis été * Marseille l'année dernière quand j'étais en croisière sais-tu qu'est-ce que je peux visiter * Paris??

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)

Love is irrational,I reminded myself. The more you loved someone,the less sense anything made-Bella Swan (New Moon)
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly91 View Post
ça sera magnifique je ne suis jamais allée * Paris,mais je suis été * Marseille l'année dernière quand j'étais en croisière sais-tu qu'est-ce que je peux visiter * Paris??
Peut-etre la tour Eiffel, Parc Disney, Parc Asterix, Montmartre, Moulin Rouge, Les Champs-Elysees, La Cathedrale de Notre-Dame, Le Musee de Louvre, etc.
c'est tres belle, Paris.

Loving R/Hr since 1997.
Il n'y a qu'un bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'être aimé - George Sand
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:30 pm
First Year

Merci beaucoup! ^^

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)

Love is irrational,I reminded myself. The more you loved someone,the less sense anything made-Bella Swan (New Moon)
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:42 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
You're right, it's easier to learn through songs, especially songs that exist in both languages. Last December, I and my French student sang Christmas carols in French, then we went to "Doggie in the window" (which was originally written in French, by Loulou Gasté) and a number a French folk songs. ♫ ♫
I don't know, I guess I'm one of those people who has trouble distinguishing song lyrics in my native language so listening to a song in French has never really done much for me... but I suppose comparing the lyrics in writing would be instructive.

It's been a long time since I paid any attention to my French studies, I keep getting sidetracked by other projects. I find myself unable to recall grammatical rules I'm sure I know--especially pronouns and even some conjugations, and I get vowels wrong more often than I used to.

Old August 4th, 2010, 5:11 am
First Year

Jeez! I'm starting french this year and this thread is making me nervous. It all seems so confusing!

VERY POTTER TRIO!
Old August 4th, 2010, 6:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawatson96 View Post
Jeez! I'm starting french this year and this thread is making me nervous. It all seems so confusing!
What is it that confuses you, Emma? Tell us the specifics, maybe I can help.

Old August 4th, 2010, 7:37 pm
First Year

Pretty much everything right now! But I'll come back after I start class...

VERY POTTER TRIO!
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawatson96 View Post
You'll be okay! There are actually many similarities with English, since English has "stolen" a lot from French. Don't psych yourself out!

Plus you'll have the lovely people here at Beauxbatons who can help you

Anyone who thinks sunshine is happiness has never danced in the rain.
Proud to be a Ravenclaw.
Old August 31st, 2010, 7:43 pm
First Year

Well, french's grammar is really hard (even native frenchies have troubles with ;D), but as long as you want to learn, i guess you won't have any problems. And you can still ask here, i'm sure there's many frenchies like me around

Enjoy your french lesson, even if it won't be that funny at the begining.

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictQq View Post
Well, french's grammar is really hard (even native frenchies have troubles with ), but as long as you want to learn, i guess you won't have any problems. And you can still ask here, i'm sure there's many frenchies like me around
You can say that again. French grammar rules are very confusing. Not many native Frenchies master them. In the emails or letters I get, or even in some papers or magazines, I find mistakes that would make my old French grammar teacher blanch and tear her hair out.

But sure, by all means ask here. Some of us Frenchies (or quasi-Frenchies like me) still remember the old lessons and will be happy to help in any way we can.

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:23 pm
First Year

In fact yes, french grammar is damn hard. Mostly because you can say the same thing with differents conjugations.
Exemple: my signature : 'If I were a wizard, I'd be a Ravenclaw'
wich literally: 'Si je serais un sorcier, j'aurais été un Serdaigle'
or you can translate it to: 'Si j'avais été un sorcier, j'aurais été un Serdaigle'
And there's maybe a lot of other ways to translate.
Really hard And i guess its because of that us have some troubles with foreign languages !

Old September 8th, 2010, 5:23 am
Banned

Quote:
In fact yes, french grammar is damn hard. Mostly because you can say the same thing with differents conjugations.
Exemple: my signature : 'If I were a wizard, I'd be a Ravenclaw'
wich literally: 'Si je serais un sorcier, j'aurais été un Serdaigle'
or you can translate it to: 'Si j'avais été un sorcier, j'aurais été un Serdaigle'
And there's maybe a lot of other ways to translate.
Really hard And i guess its because of that us have some troubles with foreign languages !
Actually, and with all due respect, the correct way to say that is: "Si j'étais un sorcier, je serais un Serdaigle"

"Si je serais" is grammatically incorrect. Your second example is grammatically correct, but would have been a translation of "If I had been a wizard, I'd have been a Ravenclaw" - different tense.

And you forgot the "h" in "which" ("w[h]ich literally").

Old September 9th, 2010, 1:44 am
First Year

No both are good, but well with the real french grammar it'd be :" Si j'avais été un sorcier, j'aurais été * Serdaigle'. But well, i thought it would weird the translate : 'a Ravenclaw' into '* Serdaigle'.
Well, after checking, 'Si je serais...' is not perfect, but it's correct, it's the kind of mistake that everyone does (like: le cousin * maman, wich is totaly wrong, and the right sentence is 'le cousin de maman', there's a funny technical memo to remember, but i can't tell you here -kind of rude)

Edit: As for the 'wich', blame my keyboard

Old September 9th, 2010, 5:36 am
Banned

Quote:
No both are good, but well with the real french grammar it'd be :" Si j'avais été un sorcier, j'aurais été * Serdaigle'. But well, i thought it would weird the translate : 'a Ravenclaw' into '* Serdaigle'.
Well, after checking, 'Si je serais...' is not perfect, but it's correct, it's the kind of mistake that everyone does (like: le cousin * maman, wich is totaly wrong, and the right sentence is 'le cousin de maman', there's a funny technical memo to remember, but i can't tell you here -kind of rude.
Your signature says "a (indefinite article) Ravenclaw" - (un(e) Serdaigle), not "in Ravenclaw", which would have been "* Serdaigle".

"Si je serais" is grammatically incorrect, even if it's commonly used colloquially. You can't use the conditional form if you already have "Si" (If) in the sentence. "Le cousin * maman" is also colloquial, but not grammatically incorrect ("ce livre est * moi") - But then, as remarked before, so many native French speakers speak and especially write such terrible French...

This reminds me of the young child of a couple of friends of mine who grew up speaking both English and French and couldn't always differentiate the two, especially where grammar is concerned, so he'd say "Nous allons partir dans Papa's voiture" instead of "la voiture de Papa".

Oh and by the way, as far as I know one doesn't "do" a mistake, one "makes" a mistake.

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:

This reminds me of the young child of a couple of friends of mine who grew up speaking both English and French and couldn't always differentiate the two, especially where grammar is concerned, so he'd say "Nous allons partir dans Papa's voiture" instead of "la voiture de Papa".
I know many people who do this, including me. I grew up speaking two languages and most of the time I end up speaking a mix of the two.

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:23 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I know many people who do this, including me. I grew up speaking two languages and most of the time I end up speaking a mix of the two.
When you're a small child, that's hard on the baby sitter if he or she speaks only one of the two languages.

My nephews used, quite innocently, to drive theirs to distraction because they would tell her things like "Maintenant on voudrait manger des chuôi" - how was she to know that they were asking for bananas, using a Vietnamese word in a French sentence?

What two languages do you speak, Wolfbrother?

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:48 am
First Year

Quote:
Your signature says "a (indefinite article) Ravenclaw" - (un(e) Serdaigle), not "in Ravenclaw", which would have been "* Serdaigle".

"Si je serais" is grammatically incorrect, even if it's commonly used colloquially. You can't use the conditional form if you already have "Si" (If) in the sentence. "Le cousin * maman" is also colloquial, but not grammatically incorrect ("ce livre est * moi") - But then, as remarked before, so many native French speakers speak and especially write such terrible French...

Oh and by the way, as far as I know one doesn't "do" a mistake, one "makes" a mistake.
I guess you misunderstood me on some points, but whatever. And as far as i know everyone in France uses "Si je serais", even professors, but you're right on one point, the "right" sentence is : 'si j'avais été un sorcier, j'aurais été un / * Serdaigle', but since almost everyone makes noone really mind.
When you say 'so many native French speakers speak and especially write such terrible French... ' sorry, but, you're wrong, almost every native french speaker make little mistakes when they talk and write french, because every 'districts' have 'their own french', which means every 'districts' have their own 'mistakes' and nobody pays attention. Further, in France we learn grammar till we are 11/12 years old and over 16 years old we study texts (what they talk about, what they really mean etc...), so it's kind of far for adults or people who just leaves high school. But i think when foreigns learn french, they learn the 'real french' when native french learn it by their own, while listening their parents or other.

Old September 12th, 2010, 1:22 am
Banned

I'm sorry, but grammar rules are set. The fact that people make mistakes doesn't negate the rules. Like everyone says "Je sais pas" or "Je peux pas" instead of "Je ne sais pas" or "Je ne peux pas". Nobody in France inverts the subject in a question any more, though in French Canada they still do. They say "Peux-tu m'aider?" when a French person would say "Tu peux m'aider?"

That a mistake is widespread and used currently doesn't make it less of a mistake. And the number of French people who put an "s" in the first person of the future tense when there is none ("je serai" is "I shall be", whereas "Je serais" is "I would be"), as well as in the imperative. The correct form is "Va", but the number of people who write "Vas" as an order is staggering. It drives me nuts.

Old September 12th, 2010, 1:47 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
I guess you misunderstood me on some points, but whatever. And as far as i know everyone in France uses "Si je serais", even professors
Fleurdujardin is quite right. "Si je serais" just wouldn't work, as a result of the established rules (grain of salt duly taken, rules do change). It is even roughly the same situation as in English.

Think of it this way: you can only say you "would be" or "would do" something if you establish the condition for which it would be possible, since by definition this construction suggests it is not true or possible (and this condition clause is marked by "si"/"if").

Let me just do this:

"If I were a wizard, I'd be a Ravenclaw"

The condition here is "being a wizard", since the syntax implies that you are not. The result is that you would be a Ravenclaw only if that condition were fulfilled. On the other hand, "si je serais" would be:

"If I would be a wizard, I... ???"

It just doesn't make sense syntactically in French or in English.

Last edited by canismajoris; September 12th, 2010 at 1:53 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab