Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

The Crumple-Horned Snorkack

Old January 25th, 2008, 9:49 pm
First Year

A short story about one of my favourite characters post-DH
We heard from JKR that Luna married later then the others, to a fellow naturalist named Rolf. This is my story on how they met.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any of the characters from the HP books named in this piece of fanficion. Nor do I own Rolf, who isn't in the books, but still is one of JKRowlings characters.

I hope you like it, and I hope I my spelling isn't too horrible
Please let me know if you liked it when you've read it!
FeedBack

How Luna met Rolf

It was in the middle of the night, and a full moon was glowing bright against the dark sky. Its white light shone over the knee-high grass of a small meadow in the middle of a great forest.

Several feet into the meadow, just out of the shadows of the big trees surrounding it, a young woman was sitting on her knees. The long grass grew up to her chin, and she was sitting so still that she was barely visible. But her waist long blond hair reflected the light of the full moon, and betrayed her location. If it hadn’t been for her hair, he would have missed her as he squinted over the meadow from among the trees.

She slowly moved her hand to brush a lock of blond hair behind her ear. She had been sitting at this spot for several hours now, waiting for something, patiently observing the meadow around her.

Even though it was summer, in these northern forests it was cold at night, and a chilling wind blew in the night, making the high grass around her wave like the sea. The cold however did not bother her. The cloak she was wearing was thin and the grass tickled her bare feet, but she couldn’t have cared less. Some things just were more important than warmth and comfort. And what would happen here tonight was definitely one of those things. She smiled dreamily to herself; this was what she had been waiting for so long. Tonight was the night, this was it. She was absolutely sure. Years of travelling and many calculations made that not even a little doubt was on her mind.

She wished her father was here with her, this was his dream as well. But he had been too busy with the magazine. She knew how happy he would be when he would get her letter telling that she had found it. After all these years, they would prove the existence of the most special magical creature of this world.

She hoped she would be home to see the look on Ronald Weasley’s face when he was told about her discovery. He had mocked her all these years. She didn’t mind, if he didn’t want to believe it was his choice, she did, and that was all that mattered. From Ronald her mind went to Ginny, who was one of her best friends. She had received a letter from her several days ago; Ginny had given birth to a beautiful baby girl, and had named her after her, Lilly Luna. That had made her very happy. Hopefully she would soon be back in England so she could visit the Potters.

A cold breeze stopped her mind from lingering on her friends in England for a longer time. She needed to pay attention.
Then something moving in the forest among the thick trunks of the old trees caught her eye. She couldn’t make out its shape. Her excitement grew. This was it.

That woman had to be barking mad. Had she any idea how dangerous these forests were? She was certainly not from here, maybe even a muggle. No one should be out here in the middle of the night. Especially not when the moon was full, like it was tonight. He watched her from the forest, her back was turned to him. He knew he had to go to her, what she was doing was dangerous, he had to warn her. But something made that he waited a moment with approaching her.

There was something magical about how she sat there, hidden in the long grass. Something calm, something lovely. The scene in front of him could have been one out of a fairytale or a dream. And the way her hair seemed to glow in the white moonlight. It was breathtaking, and he was sorry he had to disturb her. But he had to.

He slowly approached her, barely making any sound. His profession as a naturalist had taught him to move in complete silence, so he wouldn’t scare away the creatures he was looking for.

Only feet away from him now, the woman reached for her binoculars that were lying next to her. Distracted he looked to the edge of forest on the other side of the meadow, were her head was turned towards. Now he noticed the shadow of a four-legged creature between the trees. And he had a very good idea of what that might be. The creature seemed to have noticed them to, it started moving faster through the forest, now quickly approaching the moonlit meadow.

The way the creature moved confirmed his expectations. He had only moments to act now before it would have reached them. In three big steps he brought himself at the side of the young woman, grabbed her arm, and disapparated, taking her with him, to somewhere safe.

^ Remus&Dora, made by the amazing burdge-bug (http://burdge-bug.deviantart.com/)

My Stories
A different kind of Magic
The Crumple-Horned Snorkack (one-shot)

for a good laugh, read my sisters Juliet-series,
Wanted:Romeo being the first part. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Last edited by NoraLupin; January 25th, 2008 at 10:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:16 pm
First Year

Re: The Crumple-Horned Snorkack

In complete surprise she had felt a hand around her arm, and before she knew it she was standing in a completely different place, her binoculars still in her hand. No longer was she surrounded by trees, but she was standing on a dirt road, the forest only visible at the horizon.

What on earth did just happen? She was just in the meadow, ready to make the discovery of the century, and now…

Then she remembered the hand, and turned around to find whoever that hand had belonged to. She came face to face with a man who looked very pleased with himself. Now she, with her calm personality, got angry.

“Can I just ask what the hell you are smiling at?” she started, her dreamy voice strained with irritation. “Have you any idea what you just did? You just ruined everything I worked for the past years!”

He stopped smiling and frowned. Clearly he hadn’t expected her to be angry. She looked at him as she waited for him to answer her question. The stranger had a pretty handsome face, surrounded by half long dirty-blond hair. He seemed to be in his early thirties.

“Hi, I am Rolf Butterfield and I just saved your life. Who are you? You seem familiar.”

“Luna Lovegood. And what do you mean – just saved your life? What the hell are you talking about? You ruined everything. I wasn’t in any kind of danger.”

“The Luna Lovegood? Yes, now I see, I read your article on your discovery of the black unicorn in Dark Africa! That really was something! Who would have thought those existed?”

“That’s not what I asked you. Please answer my question. I need to get back there. I might have missed it already.”

“You were about to get killed by a werewolf. Didn’t you know those live in the forests with full moon? This isn’t England, wolfsbane potion isn’t as commonly used here.”

“Of course I knew that, I’m not backwards.” She calmed herself down, this Rolf had meant well, he just had no idea of what was really going on in that forest. She let out a sight and started talking again, her voice back to the usual dreamy sound. “There is no way that was a werewolf. The werewolf is known to avoid the Crumple-horned Snorkack. They don’t get closer to them than ten miles. I was in no danger at all. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a magical creature to discover.”

She pulled her wand from the inside of her sky blue cloak.

“Wait, you cannot go back there. Do you have a death wish?”

“Oh yes I can, you’re not going to stop me.”

He could tell from her decisive expression that he couldn’t.

“Then I’ll come with you. There’s an observe post in the top of one of the trees at the side of the meadow. You can study the place from up there. Werewolves don’t climb trees.”

“There really is no reason for that at all”

“There also is no reason not to. Let’s just go there, just to be safe.”

“Well, ok, why not. But I can assure you it is completely unnecessary.”

He took her arm again, and moments later they found themselves in the top of one of the trees that stood on the side of the meadow.

She had sat herself in front of the opening in the observation post from where she could oversee the meadow beneath the tree. Her binoculars in front of her large dreamy eyes. After several minutes of silence he got the feeling she had forgotten he was there.

He was sitting with his back against the wooden wall and watched her squint over the meadow. He had admired her for her amazing work discovering new magical creatures when he had never met her. Now that he had met her there were other things about her that intrigued him. Her clear piercing eyes, the dreamy tone of her voice, She seemed completely occupied with this… what was it again? A Double horned Snorkack? He had never heard of a creature with that name.

“So, what is this creature we’re looking for? I have never heard of it. And I have studied the creatures here, in the forests of Scandinavia for a few years now.”

“I’m looking for the Crumple-horned Snorkack. No one has ever seen it, but I know it’s going to be here tonight. It only shows itself in the light of the full moon. And I calculated that it should come across this meadow tonight. I have been searching for it for almost half of my life, usually together with my father, sometimes alone. We still haven’t found it, but like I said. It will be here tonight, I’m absolutely positive. I just hope I didn’t miss it when you decided you had to ‘save’ me.”

“Sounds like an interesting creature, I don’t get why I’ve never heard of it around here if it’s living somewhere around these northern forests.”

“It’s not a very common known creature, it’s very rare, and it lives alone. Not many people believe in its existence. Maybe that’s why you’ve never heard of it.”

“Luna?”

“Yes?”

“I really hope you’ll see it tonight.”

She looked at him over her shoulder, and smiled a dreamy and sweet smile. A smile that made him feel warm inside.
“Thank you.” She told him.

They talked throughout the whole night, though she never turned her eyes away from the meadow. Them being colleague naturalists provided more then enough to talk about. They enjoyed each others company. She found in him an interested listener, someone to exchange ideas and opinions with. Also she enjoyed his warm voice and his kind smile. He learned about her very open minded view of life, her dreamy and sometimes pretty strange ideas.

He had laughed when she told him about the precautions she always took to keep Nargles at distance. She had shrugged her shoulders and they had continued talking. He liked it in her that she didn’t care at all what other thought about her. She was a very special creature herself, unique on this planet. He was certain of that.

After they had sat there for several hours, the moon disappeared, and soon the sun started rising. A beautifully coloured sky took the place of the dark night sky. The night was over. And the Crumple-horned Shorkack had not showed itself.

It was not until the sun was fully raised that Luna tore her eyes away from the now sunlit meadow. Exhaustion had formed dark rings around her eyes, which were filled with disappointment. Yet again, she had not seen the Shorkack. She knew there would be another chance sometime. There always was, but she felt utterly disappointed, she had been so certain, so hundred per cent sure.

She leaned against the wooden wall of the cabin, hugging her knees. Then she met the eyes of her companion, the stranger that had become her friend in this night.

His eyes mirrored the disappointment in hers. He had hoped she found what she was looking for. He wanted her to find it so much that he was just as disappointed for her as she was. Also he had been dreading the sunrise, for who knew if he would ever see her again after tonight?

“What are you going to do now?” he asked her quietly.

“I’m going back to England. Visit my friends, my family. Then I’ll start over. Because I will find the Snorkack, I just know it’s out there somewhere.”

He smiled at her persistence. Somewhere he doubted this Snorkack existed. But if it did, if it was somewhere out there, he was positive that she would find it.

“Well, I’m going to go then. I need to get some sleep.” She said as she stood up.

He stood up too and nodded, feeling really sorry to let her go.

“Rolf?”

He looked at her

“I would love you to visit me sometimes. I think we could be very good friends.” And she smiled that beautiful smile to him again.

“I would love that to. I will send you an owl when I’m in England this Fall.” And he smiled back at her.

“Well, Goodbye then.” She said, sounding somewhat sad and she shook his hand.

Then she stepped closer to him, put a hand on his shoulder and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. Then she stepped back, let go of his hand, smiled again, and disapparated. Leaving him standing there in surprise, staring at the place where she just disappeared, with his fingertips against his cheek where her lips had touched it less than a minute ago.
Maybe he would go to England earlier than planned, before the end of the summer suddenly seemed a much better idea than the end of autumn.

The End

FeedBack

^ Remus&Dora, made by the amazing burdge-bug (http://burdge-bug.deviantart.com/)

My Stories
A different kind of Magic
The Crumple-Horned Snorkack (one-shot)

for a good laugh, read my sisters Juliet-series,
Wanted:Romeo being the first part. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Last edited by NoraLupin; January 25th, 2008 at 10:19 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts